New acquisition won't fire up...

So I got the 66 into the barn. It was a long haul from CA to UT but we made it with no problems. However, the little pony is not very well. She turns over fine but does not want to fire up completely. It seems like it wants to start with some cylinders firing but doesn't fire up all the way. I believe it is a timing issue. The PO had a a new carb, alt, and distributor installed recently. The PO said it was running up until about a week ago. When I went to check the dist it was not tightened down and would turn quite easily. I tried moving it to different positions with no luck. Its getting gas and spark. I went to make sure the dist rotor is in the correct position but I can't find the timing marks on the HB. Also the pointer on the front cover is not there. I do see what seems to be a broken-off stud/bolt where I believe the pointer should be. I'm gonna take a wire brush to the HB to see if I can locate the timing marks. If I can't find them what would ya'll suggest be my next step? Also, I want to hook up a remote starter button. I know one of the button wires goes to the positive terminal of the battery but which post on the starter relay does the other wire go to...the small ignition switch terminal or a different one?

• Sponsors (?)

Check the compression and the distributor wires may be off 1 place from where they need to be. You can base time it from the hb so itll start, then fine tune by ear from there. Theres one or two small studs on the starter solenoid, one of em will send power to the starter.

shem

shem

You can buy a sticker with timing marks for your balancer for very little money if you don't find marks on it. Remove spark plug on cylinder 1 and find the compression stroke (put your thumb over it and when air is blowing out that's the compression stroke). I'd probably also look for a pointer for the engine and add that as well.

I would use a piston stop (can be purchased or made from an old spark plug) to find TDC on cylinder 1. That will get you the correct location to put a timing sticker.