new CAFE standards

A turbo 6 would be fun, and I think 3.8's and 4.0 V6's put in Mustangs do have a smooth exhaust note when they are set up right, but I think a small CI (like the 3.9 V8 in the Lincoln LS) with a single turbo would fit the bill... :)

Those things rev like a 4v 4.6 do, and make decent power. Gas mileage isnt horrible either.

I just cant picture the 6 cylinder Mustang becoming the performance icon over the V8. Id still opt for the 8 either way.

• Sponsors (?)

I guess I'm a dinosaur...

I'd take a 270/300HP V8 over a 400/450HP V6 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday...

there is just something special about a V8 (and yes I have driven and owned high powered/turbo-ed 6's and 4's)

But what about a turbo 5.0?
The Raptor

Underhood, the Raptor will use a powerplant that will leave SVT fans wanting a Lightning version of the new F-150. While a horsepower rating has not been leaked — although sources say output will be "high" — the Raptor F-150 will reportedly use an EcoBoost version of Ford's upcoming Boss V8.

We have some time before the CAFE standards hit us. I would be surprised if this didn't make it in to a few stangs before then.

I don't forsee the Stang going to the gutter anytime soon.

I looked at an 05 6cyl stang before I bought my 04GT and the 6cyl, while it ran really well for a 6cyl, just didn't have the right sound. I actually thought there was something wrong with it at first for how much it vibrated with the v8 wannabe exhuast.

100 years ago the Ford model T got 24mpg..

Pretty sad that we have evolved so much over 100 years yet the internal combustion engine has stayed essentially the same, and the average automobile today gets 20.1 mpg..

Like we took a step back in that department. Thank you big business and money hungry executives! :nice:

100 years ago the Ford model T got 24mpg..

Pretty sad that we have evolved so much over 100 years yet the internal combustion engine has stayed essentially the same, and the average automobile today gets 20.1 mpg..

Like we took a step back in that department. Thank you big business and money hungry executives! :nice:

That is a completely unfair statement. Today we have ICE's that get over 40mpgs with far more hp than the model T. The money hungry executives have nothing to do with the fuel economy of the average car. You have to account for the fact that they are making what people want to buy. An SUV and a pick up will get far worse as millage than a VW gti.