New Car/Question about fuel System

Hoffman

Sep 11, 2004
I just bought a 89 LX 5.0. I'm new to fuel injection since i've run nothing but holley carbs before. The car came with a E303 cam, Holley Systemax intake, CAI and an MSD 6AL box. The fuel system; injectors , maf, etc... are stock. Should I be upgrading to larger injectors, recalibrated maf, etc? Also what timing settings are recomended?

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldnt bother with bigger injectors unless you are going to add a good sxet of heads..even then you might not need them.The stock MAF will really hold the extra power from your intake/CAI down though,that I would def change.Most 5.0's like 12-14 deg initial timing.

I'm a C&L fan. Although I bought a Pro-M 80 to try with the new motor. Doesn't mean I won't be back for a C&L 80 trying to find the right tune :D

I'd go for a 73/76mm C&L. Look around on eBay and the different stang sites classified ads. You may also find the 73 advertised as a 73mm Vortech MaxFlow. It's the exact same animal. You should be able to pick up a used one for a decent price. There's no electronics with the C&L, so you don't have any worrys with buying used. Your factory electronics come out of the stock meter and bolts into the C&L.

Happy shopping :banana:

EDIT: Where do you call home mr hoffman?

I hail from Huntingburg IN, Not many resources for the 5.0 around here, Mostly chevrolet fans. I got a pretty good deal on the car. 2000 dolllars for a 90,000 mile car with all the previoulsly mention goodies, a roll cage, subframes, and a 8.8 with 355's. I'm just trying to get a feel for the fuel injection mess, before I start modding the hell out of it. I ran some carb'd 302's before, but speed demon made those easy as cake. I would like to run forced induction in the future, but im having trouble determining fuel requirements for certain mods, I don't suppose you guys have a rule of thumb?

Thanks

I don't have any rules for fuel. I usually do the math every time. Here's my favorite place to start: Accel Fuel Injectors--> Fuel injector info starts on page 12. It's a 6MB file. Might easier to download it and then print the pages you need.

Here's some good injector math from MSD.

Here's a table of injector flow data for various manufacturers. Checkout the Homepage there for some calculators and good head flow data.

I wouldn't bother with bigger injectors right now. I'd go get a couple dyno pulls with wideband and see how your A/F looks. That'll give you the answer to the adequacy of your current injectors and it'll give you precise #s to plug into the calculations from the links above. :nice: