New coil overs installed

GSnerraf

Jan 23, 2019
Nebraska
Hey guys I just installed a new coil over kit that included upper/lower rear control arms. The rear is super bouncy when driving on uneven surfaces. I did not reinstall the quad shocks as I understood that with upgraded control arms they aren’t needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated to help me figure this out

• Sponsors (?)

Here’s a picture

Attachments

• F100A7AB-FE84-4489-8646-693FAE563B83.png
    F100A7AB-FE84-4489-8646-693FAE563B83.png
    618.3 KB · Views: 46
Those are some pretty high spring rates. My guess here is that the dampers just simply can't handle the rates.

I'll be honest. $600 for full coil-overs and rear control arms? This is just one of those times where you get what you pay for. If this was a kit like maximum motorsports i would recommend different spring rates (less) or a higher quality damper with perhaps adjustable settings. I don't think there is anything that is compatible with that setup.

Reactions: 1 user
You bought a generic coil over kit that is made with absolute junk parts by a tawain company that cost about $200 and gets rebranded and marked up by all the parts hawkers shops., sve, Sr performance, maxpeeding, race land, bc racing and countless eBay drop shippers etc all sell that pile of junk. Any kit that uses that rear spring design is coming out of the same factory you can get them for as little as $300 to over 1k depending on which company brands it but its all the same junk.

The shocks and struts are garbage at best, the rear springs in that design will ride like trash and the bushing in those control arms will split and fall apart the second they see any kind of torque.. I would try to return it if you still can and go with something all ready proven for what you want out of your car. That kits for the parking lot, broke want to be drift crowd who just want it low and care less about function.

Cheap chinese sourced parts have there place, suspension is the last place you want them.

Reactions: 1 user
Won't comment on the coil over kit, but I was also wondering about his tires. If you have a very stiff spring rate and a soft sidewall tire, your tire effectively becomes the spring (since it will compress before the spring when you hit a bump). I am not saying stiffer tires is the answer, but may help explain the bounce? What is your tire pressure?

I know there not name brand parts but there has to be a way to get them adjusted to smooth out the ride where it’s at least comfortable to ride in?

Lower spring rates, or better shocks really.

What's happening is the spring is stiff enough that when you hit a bump, it wants to push down on the suspension very quickly and firmly. The shock is not controlling the impact so it overshoots and then relaxes which is creating the bounce effect.

You either need a weaker spring that the shock can control better, or a better shock that can react quicker to stop the suspension movement. The latter is going to create a VERY firm ride with those spring rates. Unfortunately that kid doesn’t really have options available in terms of other springs or shocks.

Street car rates for coil overs are typically 250-325# front, and 150-175# rear. That kit is 450#front/400# rear which is pretty damn stiff. That's road course stiffness there.

I hate to say it but there's not much you can do here. I also don't think that kit has a stellar rep for longevity.

Last edited:
Without putting better shocks and a much better spring design in it no, the only thing that kit allows you to do is adjust ride height, some of those kits have adjustable struts and shocks as options but the valving is garbage, the rear spring on those kits limit travel way to much.

I know there not name brand parts but there has to be a way to get them adjusted to smooth out the ride where it’s at least comfortable to ride in?
Name brand also has nothing to do with it RTR hawks that crap to because there one of his sponsors and there target market is the looks/drift crowd... If you want a good suspension for what ever your after be it comfort, handeling or dragracing go with proven parts and companies. This is a lesson most people end up learning, the aftermarket will sell you junk if they can make money on it.