New Converter, Need Tuning Help

I have my PI converter in and wow does it make a difference. At WOT from a stand still it flashes 3200rpms and just goes like crazy, seeing about 4-5psi of boost too :banana:

The problem I'm having is the lockup is locking and unlocking in each gear, almost like I'm shifting into another gear :nonono: So I'm taking it back to the tuner to have it retune.

My question is should I have the converter lockup in third & fourth gear only?
Should I just allow the converter to lockup in fourth only?
Or should I have two programs burn doing both?

Any clue how it should work?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

im not sure, if im just putting around it bucks and feels like its trying to shift on me. If im driving at a higher rpm it seems to run just fine. I was told a tune would fix the problem.

Kurt2002 said:
any clue how the lockup should work?

It's a good question your asking here.

I've done alot of research on torque convertors before I purchased one. It seems that the locking mechanism is for 3rd and 4th gear and is done via the electronic celueniod within the tranny. Therefore this is controlled by a good tune. The advantage of a PI triple disc is it can be completely locked when at WOT allowing more power to the ground. If the converter is not locked at WOT, your allowing a 7% slippage from the convertor to the rear axle.

StratGT said:
It's a good question your asking here.

I've done alot of research on torque convertors before I purchased one. It seems that the locking mechanism is for 3rd and 4th gear and is done via the electronic celueniod within the tranny. Therefore this is controlled by a good tune. The advantage of a PI triple disc is it can be completely locked when at WOT allowing more power to the ground. If the converter is not locked at WOT, your allowing a 7% slippage from the convertor to the rear axle.

good tech :stupid: this is one hunred percent correct..

the way too use your multi disc is too lock it after the launch and leave it locked durring upshifts. that thing will bang them off harder than a 5 speed. a well built auto can be a lot of fun.