New Edge Coyote Swap F150 Vs Stang Setup (twin Turbo)

Machme72

Jul 31, 2017
Minnesota
HI I'm new here and I'm currently sourcing and researching parts to complete my build to my 02' mustang gt. My goal is to maintain street ability while increasing performance on the track. The original car is a 02' mustang gt premium with an automatic. I've had since 60k miles.and its ran great, Its just time that really want more out of her.

To my question... In this application,would it be more beneficial to use the f150's highter torque setup and allow the turbos to make up the hp difference or just start with the mustangs setup? I intended to run the car on premium pump gas. Right now i'm leaning for the mustangs setup but I'm not sold that I would be faster given that i will be force induction. I know the single turbo would most likely be a performance upgrade but I simply want the twin setup.

Thanks for reading! and if I posted in the wrong forum I apologize and would appreciate a point to the right area for the question.

Intended build(tentative):

-Coyote 5.0
~9.5:1 comp ratio
aftermarket pistons/rods
oil pump gear upgrade
injectors
fuel pump
62-65 mm turbos intercooled

-Tremec 6 speed (tentative pending coyote dyno)
1pc alum/cf driveshaft
light weight flyweel
Independent Rear suspension (ford diff and subframe) with upgraded halfshafts

-Suspension/Chassis
Coilover springs shocks with caster camber plates
tubular k member

• Sponsors (?)

To my question... In this application,would it be more beneficial to use the f150's highter torque setup and allow the turbos to make up the hp difference or just start with the mustangs setup?
The 4.6 motor in an F150 makes more torque because:
  • Longer intake runners
  • PCM tune to take advantage of long intake runners.
For the 1996+ model year 4.6 modular motors there isn't a significant difference between the F150 and Mustang motors at the long block level. The differences come from the things bolted onto the long block, induction, fuel, exhaust, and tune.

However for the 5.0 Coyote there are differences in how the motors are set up. The F150 has a lower CR and a different cam to give more torque at lower RPM's. For a boosted application the lower CR would be an advantage. But having a cam designed to work in a lower RPM NA set up won't provide a benefit under boost.

Seems to me that if you are willing to change the CR anyway that you should use the services of a professional tuner to recommend a "package" that will work together.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the motor differences to address your technical questions but I'll chime in with cost which is always food for thought. It's my understanding to do a quality mustang coyote swap right its low end 9K$-13$k or more. I've also heard the f150 coyote can be had from a wreck much cheaper and putting the total cost much lower. But on the ladder cost with all new mustang kits if it were me and investing dollars I'd just get a used 11-12 coyote mustang which can now be had for under 15K$ then do your power adder and build of choice from there. Of course if you are in love with your car and or new edge mustangs disregard my reasoning. I'm going through it now. I picked up a cheap new edge to restore and build up a bit. I restored it and it looks pretty good but when I do the math I find myself wondering if selling or trading this towards an 11 is a better route.

WM- Thanks for the info i was already planning on getting a local tune for it so at the very least I have a baseline to start with :) VVT is new to me so I wasn't sure exactly how much can be tuned or how the lobes differ from static timing camshafts but I suspected for my build to be effective I'd have to change cams, but I've just started my research on that.

Black- Its a couple of reasons one primary being attachment/love of this gen. I also want it to be a bit of a sleeper. it also has a 500lb weight advantage and i'm pretty confident i can get the cars weight distribution in line without adding much to its moment of inertia since the suspension upgrades I have planned will shed some weight from the front.

Even if I bought a newer or new mustang (I like them too) I would still end up tearing it down the engine and replacing internals to better handle the added power and increase the effectiveness of the boost. I'd still have to do the suspension and transmission mods (probably not as much but I do want to get the power to the ground and corner).

I don't expect the car to gain value from the mods, just to be more fun to drive. There is something to driving a car you built yourself... The wins are just that much sweeter :D

Black were you just considering a coyote swap or did you have plans on forced induction as well? I'll try to do a thread for the upgrade process including a $$ tally

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate the input.