New engine and tranny together. Extra part?

how important is the little reinforcing plate that goes on the flywheel on an a4ld? my car is just about finished but i just found this plate. its a round thin plate with 6 holes on it. i think it goes on before or after the flywheel. Do I Really Have to Take my Engine out to put this in. or am i good without it? what does it do?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe it indexes the starter in which case it's pretty damn important...I believe you can unbolt the trans and slide it back a 1/4 inch and get it in there though (I could with my 5 speed).

naw, i have to pull them pretty far apart because i need to unbolt the torqe converter to get to the flywheel. it doesnt position the flywheel any different, it goes on after the flywheeel, its almost like just one big washer for the six bolts that hold on the flywheel. but im going to do it anyway, it should only take about 30 mins.

Thanx alot for the feedback stinger

You know, I did the same thing with mine. My car started and ran just fine without it. Thrust washer for the torque converter maybe? Either way, I'm swapping in a T-5. But my buddy wants my auto (after it gets rebuilt) so maybe I should dig that thing out.