New FMS / Borla Stingers installed

Green Machine

Founding Member
Sep 22, 2001
Lakeland Florida
All I can say is Nice !:nice:

They have nice deep tone, and sound 100% better than stock. WOT is awesome !

The OEM mufflers weigh about 3x-4x times as much as the new stingers.

Also, noticed that the mileage is going up. I was getting 16mpg per the average mpg readout, and now driving over the same route same speed I'm up to 17.5 mpg. Maybe it's just a fluke ? I'll monitor it.

Anyway, this is a great Borla muffler, The tips look super also.

Thanks, Dewman

• Sponsors (?)

Red,

I have the aFe cai (no tune) from previous owner install and now the Borla's. It is more responsive, and louder, especially at WOT. To me the sound alone makes this worth having not extreme loud, but just right.

I didn't get a chance to open it up much given heavy traffic. I'll need to get a dyno done soon to see what's getting to the rear wheels.

If you appreciate a deep exhaust note then these will fill the bill, and I'l sure they will save you 10 pounds of weight minium. You wont be disappointed. Btw - I still have the oem cat'd h-pipe and when you let off the accelrater you can here a nice classic mustang burbble. :D

Thanks,Dewman :nice:

In that case, The Stingers will be the next on my mod list..I was going to do the TB spacers next, but after everything you said about the Borla's, I think I'll see much more of an overall difference, with the Stinger's than with the TB spacers..In fact just shedding the 10lbs is worth it, in itself..Anyway I'm glad that you like em and I'm sure I will, as well..And most of all, thanks for your advice and support..You've been very helpful...:D

Sound clips?? Preferably a take off from idle...
:nice:

I've heard this exhaust is very deep at idle but gets really raspy/tinny/trumpety in the high rpms (it is a straight through muffler after all)... Your thoughts??

jberylec

I have a razr phone, so I'm not sure if that would justice to any exhaust sounds.:( I'll try and see what comes out.

I was only able to take a short drive after they went on. They're deep at start up & idle. Quite at hwy speed, but still louder than stock. I was able mash the go fast pedal only once due to traffic, and it was loud and deep.They are not tinny nor raspy. I still have the oem cats and h-pipe on.

I had LT headers & o/r x-pipe & bassani muffs on my old 94 GT and I know raspy. :D

The clips that Borla has on its web site do not do justice to the stingers. The biggest features with these is you loose weight and get a great sound.

Thanks, Dewman

Sorry DBL post.

jberylec

I have a razr phone, so I'm not sure if that would justice to any exhaust sounds.:( I'll try and see what comes out.

I was only able to take a short drive after they went on. They're deep at start up & idle. Quite at hwy speed, but still louder than stock. I was able mash the go fast pedal only once due to traffic, and it was loud and deep.They are not tinny nor raspy. I still have the oem cats and h-pipe on.

I had LT headers & o/r x-pipe & bassani muffs on my old 94 GT and I know raspy. :D

The clips that Borla has on its web site do not do justice to the stingers. The biggest features with these is you loose weight and get a great sound.

Thanks, Dewman

The aforementioned borla muffler is the FRPP exhaust kit, also known as Stingers? (the interchanging of these three words has confused me long enough). And you say you ran the borla mufflers on stock headers and midpipes?

My mech vocab is increasing, day by day :D

Dreadnaught

Yes, the FRPP "Stingers" are mfg'd by Borla for Ford,Steeda etc.
They are light weight, resonator style flow thru mufflers.

I have stock headers/cat'd h-pipe and FRPP ( stingers) axel back mufflers.

Got to drive more today, and they are great sounding mufflers!

Thanks, Dewman :nice:

I'm really considering the FRPP stingers or Flowmasters for my Mustang when I purchase. If the stingers are as good of quality as you say they are, I'd rather purcahse them through Ford and have them already installed when I pickup my Stang. I'll be using stock headers/midpipes FYI.

Dread - don't buy them from your local Ford Dealer, they will kill you. :(

I purchased mine from RPM Outlet for $379.95 which was about the cheapest price I could find anywhere. But, that site has customer service problems.

If you want Ford Parts go to GEFracing.com they discount their Ford products by 25-28%. Call the toll free number 800-992-9801 and ask for Sam. He handles all of the internet parts. They should have them in stock or order them and save you some $$

Btw - the Flows are good, but I believe their baffled, you want to stick to a flow thru type to make the best hp.

Thanks, Dewman

Going to dip into my limited mech vocab. When you mean the Flowmasters are baffled, I remember reading that they are chambered. Are baffled and chambered different muffler options, or are they in entirely different fields?

If I'm wrong, can you explain what you mean by flow through type? Also, I was under the impression that stock headers/midpipes with a muffler upgrade didn't yield alot of horsepower, if any?

Dreadnaught said:
Going to dip into my limited mech vocab. When you mean the Flowmasters are baffled, I remember reading that they are chambered. Are baffled and chambered different muffler options, or are they in entirely different fields?

If I'm wrong, can you explain what you mean by flow through type? Also, I was under the impression that stock headers/midpipes with a muffler upgrade didn't yield alot of horsepower, if any?

He's meaning baffled in the same sence as chamberd (MAC, Flowmaster, JBA, etc). It means there are flanges welded inside to divert exhaust flow, so the sound bounces around in there a bit before coming out the other end.

As far as flow-through or straight-through mufflers (SLP, Stingers, etc), they don't have anything blocking or diverting exhaust flow. The flow goes straight through. The only sound changing/deading material is packed into the outside of the case. The inside "tube" where the exhaust flows straight through has tons of little angled holes drilled into it so some sound can soak in (picture a cheese grater, minimal exhaust flow gets swooped up by the little holes and deadened).

I'm sure there is much more technology in it, but I hope that helps a bit as for lamens terms :nice:

Green Machine said:
...If you want Ford Parts go to GEFracing.com they discount their Ford products by 25-28%. Call the toll free number 800-992-9801 and ask for Sam. He handles all of the internet parts. They should have them in stock or order them and save you some $$

Talked to Sam... their prices are too expensive! $450 shipped! And that's with the discount! :(

I think I've really decided on getting this set up, but damn the prices! I read someone on these forums got them for $330 + shipping from somewhere???