New guy from Alaska with a huge POS '66 Mustang!

Well I thought I'd come on here and show off my beater! :rlaugh: It's a 1966 Mustang that I got as payment for some work I did. Story on it is that someone around town was starting to restore around 15-20 years ago when it got vandalized, and after that happened he lost interest and parked it. Its got a 1980-82 Mustang 200ci engine that was supposedly new or rebuilt when it was parked, and the original 3 speed on the floor. I cleaned off the points and dumped some gas down it and it fired right up! Even idles after sitting all this time! I had to put a new waterpump on, but that was all it needed. I put a dual master cylinder on it off a truck, but all the slave cylinders were going bad, so the brakes aren't too good. I drove it around the yard quite a bit, but didn't have much interest in it since it needed so much work, only to end up with a 6 cylinder and 4 lug.

GEDC0611.jpg

GEDC0612.jpg

Fast forward a couple months, I picked up a 1998 Ford Explorer 2wd with a 5.0 because I was going to take the body off and use the chassis under my 1950 Chevy truck. I was parting it out, and nobody wanted to make a reasonable offer on the engine, so I was considering stashing it away for a future project. I didn't really know what I would put it in since I rarely ever have Fords, but the other night it hit me- I could throw a carb'd intake and distributor on it and stick it in the Mustang! I didn't have a clue what I would do for a rear axle, so I looked around online for anything that bolts up to a Mustang. I found out that Maverick rear ends will, and theres one at my work with an 8" still in it, so I found my rear axle.

I will still need a lot of parts like the transmission, driveshaft, radiator, spindles/front brakes, motor mounts, but I think its a lot better start then before.

My plan is to get it running and driving good, go through all the steering/brake components, redo the wiring, throw some glass in it and drive it! When was the last time you ever saw a junkyard Mustang driving around?! :D

• Sponsors (?)

My plan is to get it running and driving good, go through all the steering/brake components, redo the wiring, throw some glass in it and drive it! When was the last time you ever saw a junkyard Mustang driving around?! :D

Well I drove mine this weekend. Your car isnt that bad. I would be inclined to drive it with the current engine. Ive done the V8 swap and you have to change a LOT of stuff. But its so nice to hear that V8 rumble.