New Guy Here: Bolt on 4.6 Project. Please Help

99StangGT17

Jun 25, 2007
hey guys. i heard alot of good stuff about this site so i came here for some advice. i have a 1999 Ford Mustang GT 4.6 2v Automatic.

My goal for this car was to get the best bang for the buck with a limited budget. Here are the mods so far...

BBK Cold Air Fenderwell Intake
Summit Underdrive Pullies
PP 70mm Throttle Body
PP Plenum
X-Pipe (Offroad)
Flowmaster Super 40 Mufflers
Diablo Sport Tuner
4.10 Gears

Where do I go from here? The car pulls amazing from 1-Drive then kinda dies out around 80mph from the 4.10's and lack of power.

I don't have money to build the engine or go with a supercharger unfortunately.

I have a set of Mac Long Tube Headers to be installed but local shop wants $350 to install them. I'm waiting to find someone to do it for less.

bigger injectors? lower intake manifold is out they're $700. should i invest the money for a cam? any other ideas? any help is much appreciated. like i said, i'm new at this so go easy. thanks again...

-Anthony M

• Sponsors (?)

could've just forgot about all that stuff and got cams and heads.

other than that get a haynes manual and stop letting people rip you off for things that you might actually find fun and rewarding to do yourself.

hey guys. thanks for all the replies. that was helpful. i have a Sportline lowering kit from Eibach. not the smartest choice for traction but i have a body kit.

i would try the headers with some friends but i'm actually in a wheelchair. i got hurt last year racign motocross. so it's hard for me to do most of the work under my car and in the engine bay.

what's a trans cooler? never heard of that. the diablo sport has a shift pressure and shift point adjustable. would a shift kit still help? and do you have to pull the tranny? i drive the car everyday, it's the only one i have and i live in the city. so i'm not sure a stall converter would be a good idea.

would a different MAF sensor be a good idea?

the diablo sport lets me richen and lean the fuel out. my question is, would injectors help if i can adjust the mixture? or do they allow for a larger total air fuel mixture vs. a leaner/richer mixture?

last thing, lower intake manifold. i've heard they make great gains. the only person i found selling them in PP for $600. that's a bit out of my budget just for that part. any other companies that sell them?

thanks again, any help is much appreciated.