New Member From Australia With 84 Fox Question!!

Scott Murphy

Jan 31, 2016
Hey. Hi from NSW Australia.:) Just brought in my 84 GT Mustang from CA USA and in the process of cleaning her up and attending to bits and pieces.

Can anyone tell me how the air filter fits into the stock cleaner assembly? My stock assembly has two rubber hoses into the base that prohibit me putting a new filter in. I got it without a filter.

Any help would be great, don't know anyone close by in Aus that can help!! Cheers

• Sponsors (?)

The offending assembly and hoses entering through the base.

Attachments

• 20160201_115339.jpg
    20160201_115339.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 166
looks to me like those hoses should be cut or pushed down til theyre flush with the lower air cleaner housing no?
I thought the same but they look like they'd fall off. No plugs or such to hold there. They go to two hard lines that appear to be connected maybe to the thermactor / smog system. Would it harm anything to not have vacuum to the lines and smog pump?

does it seem factory?....i havnt seen that before?.....usually one from the side?...idk,but if everything works fine then see if you can put a nipple of some kind in there,or push them flush,and after you put the filter in push them back in a bit..?

Last edited:
does it seem factory?....i havnt seen that before?.....usually one from the side?...idk,but if everything works fine then see if you can put a nipple of some kind in there,or push them flush,and after you put the filter in push them back in a bit..?
To me they look factory given they are plumbed to the hard line that runs along the intake manifold side of the valve cover. I have drawn a line tracing the route. They are plumbed into hoses on the passenger side. So many hoses I can't tell what they are doing. All I know is there should be a filter in there. Might have gone to the old original carb? There is a holley on there now.

Attachments

• 20160201_153522_1.jpg
    20160201_153522_1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 167
s-l500.jpg

From what I can find, those tubes aren't original. Unless it was a California specific thing which is entirely possible. If I had to make a guess, they were added to the air cleaner when the aftermarket carb was put on.

I'm nut sure if this is exactly for your car but it should be close.

0900c1528004e00d.gif

s-l500.jpg

From what I can find, those tubes aren't original. Unless it was a California specific thing which is entirely possible. If I had to make a guess, they were added to the air cleaner when the aftermarket carb was put on.

I'm nut sure if this is exactly for your car but it should be close.

0900c1528004e00d.gif
Gee I hope you didnt take that pic just for me!! Thanks. I think you're right. Those two hoses are attached to a metal pipe that goes to other tubing down near the battery and pump. I will have a dig around with your schematic and work it out. Thanks so much for your time! Cheers

Haha. No its just the autozone website.

This is the one they list for California.

0900c1528004e008.gif
Thanks mate. Worked it out. The new holley carb does not have the gas float ports that run to the carbon canister. Therefore the hoses are just running straight to the aircleaner instead of doing what they were originally intended to do, vent the vapours. I have removed the hoses and there are no issues. Vented gas cap is on. Thanks for the assistance.