New Member Looking ..

doublec

Jun 17, 2020
Delaware
New member looking for first Mustang. First of all I am old-79-in reasonably good health and sound mind (my opinion). Looking to get a Mustang convertible for XYL and I to just tool around in and and enjoy. Right now we have and 2013 escape and 2016 Explorer Sport. have owned everything from GTOs (65, 66, 68, 69) to wranglers. Enjoyed the 2010 SHO-sweet. Like ecoboost-but not adverse to V-8.
Would like to tap into the collective knowledge and experience of members of the forum to provide some guidance on this quest. Best years to look at, systemic problems, known issues etc... I want to be able to get in and drive away worry free-except for regular maintenance. Can't wrench them like I used to. This will be the last vehicle I will purchase-probably not new-too expensive, and will still keep the others. Explorer is a people mover, and great on long road trips. Thought about another wrangler-but not going off road anymore. So the pony seems to be a way to go and enjoy life in the sunshine (summer). Any of your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me (and it soon will be), I would go for a GTCS in whatever body style that you like the best.

Sure... They all have their quarks.

Do you have a particular year (platform/body style) that you liked more than the other?

Thanks. Just looking and learning. Like from about 2014 to recent. Like the GT with V-8, but see a plethora of ecoboosts with low mileage. Suspicious of why? Any inherent problems with that platform. GTs in this model year range are rare. Not interested in Track Packages etc. Just a daily driver for when we do not need the SUVs, or for the occasional run down the boulevard to FL.

Acquired a 2014 GT Premium convertible with less than 2000 miles. Like new. NowI have about 4k on it. The vehicle was garaged for almost 6 years and driven very little as the mileage will attest. My concern is the age of the tires-dated to 2012-so 10 years old. They are the OE Pirelli nero zero. they appear to be OK with no discernable dry rot, but the age concerns me. Looking to replace with an UHP AS and leaning toward the Continental Extreme Contact 6 Plus. Want a reasonably quiet comfortable ride while cruising the Interstate for hours coupled with good performance in spirited back road driving. Any insights/advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to the club, and congratulations on being of sound mind in an era where too much of the population is not.:jester:

The tire places around here do not fix flats or remount tires over eight years old. A tire that looked like new delaminated on an A body while I was on the interstate. It beat the heck out of the car, ruining the trunk floor and a tailpipe, but it did not go flat. I would replace ten year old tires ASAP, or right after a lot of burn outs. But I would not go on any trips with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the club, and congratulations on being of sound mind in ann era where too much of the population is not.:jester:

The tire places around here do not fix flats or remount tires over eight years old. A tire that looked like new delaminated on an A body while I was on the interstate. It beat the heck out of the car, ruining the trunk floor and a tailpipe, but it did not go flat. I would replace ten year old tires ASAP, or right after a lot of burn outs. But I would not go on any trips with them.
Thank you. Helpful reply. Will be pulling the trigger in next few days.

I have had to purchase new tires twice for my 67 Dodge due to age... Hard to get rid of the tires with 90% tread left on them.....I gave one pair to my neighbor for his trailer, and they have not found a tire store yet that will install 18 year old tires, even for a small trash trailer....

I have a 2014 V6 convt. Still on original tires. likely same age. I’m still comfortable on mine due to being garaged the whole time (30,000 mile). If yours was as well, might not be too big of issue. The sun and outside are big pro for tires.

Congrats on the new ride. I have two sets of wheels and tires for my 2014 GT. I’ve been pretty happy with BFG G-Force TA all seasons for the non summer months. I have Hankook tires on my summer wheels (need to check the model). They have been fine for the most part. Used them for a track attack day in 2019 and they seemed to hold their own pretty well for about an hour on the track. I got the wheels with tires second hand for a good price.