New Member w/ Questions

jaycall88

Jan 23, 2009
Fullerton
Hello,
I am new to the forum but as of now I do not have a classic mustang yet, I am still in progress of looking for a good one for the right price. But I have some questions before I am able to start the restoration. Also, this is my first time attempting to restore a car. So this is a new learning experience for me.

1) What are some basic items that I should have when restoring the mustang?
Assembly Instruction Manuals?
Jack Stands?
Torque Wrench Set?
Simple Tool Set?
Plastic Ziplock Bags?
Sharpie Marker?
Digital Camera?
Any Other suggestions?

Please keep in mind i am a "total newbie" but I am learning as I go through forums and books.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

get a decent tool set from Craftsman, the sets that have between 250 and 300 pieces have just about all the basic tool, extensions sockets, screwdrivers, etc that you will need. Its a lot cheaper to by the biggest set you can upfront because buying tools individually adds up real quick.

Get a good drop cord/light too.

get a decent tool set from Craftsman, the sets that have between 250 and 300 pieces have just about all the basic tool, extensions sockets, screwdrivers, etc that you will need. Its a lot cheaper to by the biggest set you can upfront because buying tools individually adds up real quick.

Get a good drop cord/light too.

i agree with this. in fact get two of the large tool sets indicated as you are going to;

1: lose individual tools

2: need more than one of each tool at times.

i would also get an air compressor and a few air tools, specifically air ratchets in 3/8 and 1/2 drive and an impact wrench. get two torque wrenches, one calibrated in ft/lbs up to about 150ft/lbs, and one calibrated in in/lbs. these will cover just about every nut and bolt that needs torquing on the car.

as indicated a shop manual is also quite handy, as is a good book on restoring mustangs. i like the one that HP books put out.

What are some basic items that I should have when restoring the mustang?
1.) Assembly Instruction Manuals?
2.) Jack Stands?
3.) Torque Wrench Set?
4.) Simple Tool Set?
5.) Plastic Ziplock Bags?
6.) Sharpie Marker?
7.) Digital Camera?
8.) Any Other suggestions?

1.) Yes. Factory service manuals are still available in reprint and are a good investment.
2.) Yes, get good ones, not flimsy sheet metal stands.
3.) Not really a whole set; I think a single 1/2" drive torque wrench will do 99% of what you'll need.
4.) A "simple" tool set won't be enough IMO. You are going to need at least basic 3/8" and 1/2" SAE ratchet sets and extensions, a combination wrench set, and perhaps a set of deep sockets. I recommend something name brand like Craftsman, Mac, Snap-On, Proto, etc.
5.) Yes, I recommend the tougher freezer bags. Add to that some masking tape for labels.
6.) Yes.
7.) Yes.
8.) After buying a Mustang, first get the service manual and read it to become familiar with maintenance and repair procedures. If you don't have a decent floor jack, consider getting one of those too. Make sure you have enough space to work on the car and keep everything picked-up, clean, and organized.

Do what I did.

Break something, then you are forced to go buy the appropriate tools :D

Actually, everything you mentioned would be good to have. The only tools I can really think of that you will have to buy would be some larger sockets and wrenches. Since most of the basic tool kits will top off at 1"

That is sooo true. THE most important part of ANY vehicle project is planning. Figure out parts prices FIRST, see how much every single part you want costs. Learn to tell the difference between WANT and NEED in a car project and you're project will stand a better chance of getting finished. A guy I used to work with simply went on a buying spree with parts and ended up spending over $42,000 on his '67 coupe. No, it's not a blown, injected street killer. It's a stock-looking coupe with a 351C, top loader trans and nice paint. How did he spend over $4K on a Mustang? By not planning, plain and simple. He started out with a fairly rough car, then paid a local Pro $17K to do the paint and bodywork and it spiralled out of control from there. He was lucky, at least he had the scratch to finish it, lots more project cars wind up half done, in pieces, sold for less than half price in the classifieds. Plan ahead so it doesn't happen to you.

Hello,
Thank you for all the information guys! Yes, that is what I am doing right now, I am really planning everything making sure I am doing all my homework to make sure it is done correctly and the most efficient way. So far this is what I have.

Phase 1: Clean Engine Bay / Undercarriage / Exterior Interior
"Find out how I stand and what defects there are visually"
Phase 2: Dissassemble down to frame ( Body off Restoartion )
"Inspect on what needs to be replaced and what can still be used"
Phase 3: Rebuild Frame "checking for rust"
Phase 4: Rebuild Suspension Front/Rear

That is what I have planned so far.

Well my budget for the car is probably $5,000 a year, maybe $10,000 depending on how well I do with my job. But realistically $5,000.

I am looking for a fastback mustang, I have about $6,000 to invest initially, so I am probably going to get a coupe since that is in my price range.

Have you considered just getting a loan and buying the car you really want that's already been professionally restored? I'd suspect in this economy there's probably more than a few hard luck stories where someone's prized possession must go to save the house. In the long run, if you don't rush it and shop smart, it's cheaper. (Though lots of tools are never a bad thing :D)

As far as "settling" for a coupe goes: I wouldn't. Coupes are great bodystyles, and look nice, but the key to staying enthused about any car or any project is being emotional about it. If a fastback is what you dream about, keep looking for a fastback. There will be times during the rebuild where you're sick of the car, sick of one problem after another, sick of spending money on a car you can't drive, and sick of spending all your time on the thing. It's doubly so if you aren't genuinely fascinated with that car, and that much easier to quit. Trust me on this one: there are so many times I got burned out from endless bodywork, parts that didn't even come close to fitting and a never-ending stream of bills from the car that I wanted to put the whole thing on ebay and move on. But all it took to get me going was a picture in an old Mustang magazine I'd saved from the beggining of a really well done, modified GT350 that snapped me out of my funk and allowed me to keep going. You need to LOVE what you're doing and LOVE the car you're working on, otherwise it's just a job. A job you're paying to do.

Zookeeper's advise is spot on. Most begginers far underestimate the time, cost, and headaches that come with classic car restoration. You absolutly must have the passion (lust)for the car if you're going to see it through so don't "settle" for a ho-hum coupe if that's not what you want. Also, don't forget about space. If you don't have room/shop and storage space then think twice before taking the plunge. As suggested, maybe best to buy someone elses' "baby" as a lot of people have their backs against the fall, i.e., economy, lost jobs, etc. LOT of good buys out their!! 73GRAND