New Motorcraft 2G Alternator

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
Last week my original alternator on my 88 GT finally gave out. Since my Fox is pretty much stock, I decided to replace it with a new Motorcraft (hecho in China :doh:) 2G alternator. Yes, I will replace the firestarter plug. My question is 2 part.

1. The new alternator has a slightly larger pulley on it. Do I need to swap the pulley from my original alternator to the new one?
2. If I need to swap the original pulley over, can anyone offer some tips on how to get it off? I don't have an impact gun and would prefer to not have to buy one or ask a garage to take it off. I have WD-40 soaking now hoping that may help.

• Sponsors (?)

How much different is the size and is the alignment the same?
We zipped them on and off at the parts store all the time with an electric impact gun. I agree that it’s not coming off another way, not without damaging something and not unless there is a hex wrench recess in the shaft.
Do you have any car friends in the area with even a basic air compressor? My Walmart special came with a ratchet, nailer, spray gun, and an impact gun.

I want to say it's about a 1/4" taller and about an 1/8" deeper. Very noticeable by just looking at it. I'll stop by the local NAPPA and see if they can swap it for me.

Thanks all!

• Happy
Reactions: 1 users