New Project. Need Some Thoughts

flstang65

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
SE Georgia
Hey guys. I have been cruising around here for the past few years. Mostly on the 4.6 and Squeaky Wheel side of the fence but, I just got a new shop project and have a million and one ideas running through my head. Maybe someone who has done some of the ideas I have could chime in and help me decide. Anyways, I got a 85 GT for free. It's a bare roller so, I am going to use it as a project car for the shop. It will be a track only car and used to help get me some business (hopefully).

Here is what I am thinking...

1) 460 swap, built, stroked and a 250 shot
2) 351 swap, built, stroked and all motor. maybe spray
3) Mark VIII swap built
Thanks for all the input.

Next stop...search button

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys. I have been cruising around here for the past few years. Mostly on the 4.6 and Squeaky Wheel side of the fence but, I just got a new shop project and have a million and one ideas running through my head. Maybe someone who has done some of the ideas I have could chime in and help me decide. Anyways, I got a 85 GT for free. It's a bare roller so, I am going to use it as a project car for the shop. It will be a track only car and used to help get me some business (hopefully).

Here is what I am thinking...

1) 460 swap, built, stroked and a 250 shot
2) 351 swap, built, stroked and all motor. maybe spray
3) Mark VIII swap built
Thanks for all the input.

Next stop...search button

Well, I know which suspension system you should run. (see sig below)

For a shop car, something that will get a lot of attention, a Turbo Coyote is probably your best choice. Lots of bling and plenty of performance.

Hmmmm. Me thinks you should not run said suspension in sig above^

Just my opinion though. Good friend and I spent about 6 hours getting his UPR k member out to replace it with the Maximum Motorsport K member. The MM slid in without needing the force of god. And it drove better. Just sayin but not saying but really sayin....

Well, I know which suspension system you should run. (see sig below)

For a shop car, something that will get a lot of attention, a Turbo Coyote is probably your best choice. Lots of bling and plenty of performance.

I run your suspension in My 04 and recommend you guys to all my customers. Lol, as a matter of fact, I just ordered some stuff for the 04 this week. Please PM me at your earliest convenience.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmm. Me thinks you should not run said suspension in sig above^

Just my opinion though. Good friend and I spent about 6 hours getting his UPR k member out to replace it with the Maximum Motorsport K member. The MM slid in without needing the force of god. And it drove better. Just sayin but not saying but really sayin....

Maybe there was an issue with that specific one. They are all hand made so, I can see one or 2 once in a blue moon with some sort of something. I had a bad K memeber from them once for the ex's car that had an issue with one of the moutning tabs for the control arms. It wasn't welded in the correct spot not allowing the control arm to go in as needed. I Iad a new one in the mail in no time, no questions asked.

Reactions: 1 user
This was right after he ordered a pulley and the bearings went out within the first start up..... Guess everyone has different experiences. I can say they were fired as a place for him to shop after batting 1000 in the fail department. I never ordered after both of those first hand experiences either. They were willing to remedy it, customer service wasnt in question, just quality of parts.

I run your suspension in My 04 and recommend you guys to all my customers. Lol, as a matter of fact, I just ordered some stuff for the 04 this week. Please PM me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks! And PM sent.

It has been decided. Stroked 351. Just need to decide if I am going to spray it or not.

That's the route I went. (stroked 351)

almostready.jpg

Thanks! And PM sent.

That's the route I went. (stroked 351)

almostready.jpg
What water pump set up do you have on there? Is that so the pump flows counter clock wise? I ask because Im in the process of changing the water pump set up I have because I think the previous owner has the rotation wrong and the cars over heating. would that work on a 302 based set up?

On cars with a serpentine belt set up, the water pump is supposed to spin counter-clockwise. If not serpentine, it's supposed to rotate clock-wise. The serpentine style water pumps are aluminum and the non-serpentine ones are steel(if I'm not mistaken). Find whatever style your engine is SUPPOSED to have and put that on there (if it doesn't already have it)
Also, there's many reasons for over heating. Bad fan clutch, stuck closed thermostat, bad water pump, even the radiator cap not holding pressure.

Edit: this was in reply to Old Skooler

Yeah I know about the standard and reverse rotation. I'm actually changing out the radiator and electric fan set up now which I feel is contributing to the problem. This is a long story that involves an idiot PO. I was wondering about your water pump with the additional pulley to make it a reverse rotation (I'm assuming). That's exactly what I need right now my water pump is spinning clock wise. I don't have a/c or power steering so I'm just looking for ideas.

What water pump set up do you have on there? Is that so the pump flows counter clock wise? I ask because Im in the process of changing the water pump set up I have because I think the previous owner has the rotation wrong and the cars over heating. would that work on a 302 based set up?

I have the reverse rotation Edelbrock water pump. The standard EFI 302 HO water pump is reverse rotation as well. IIRC, it may actually be the same Edelbrock part number.

Ok, so, I have decided on this set up:

Stroked 351. Carbed, sprayed.
Built AOD
Mini tubbed with full suspension, manual brakes, manual steering and built 9"
No interior, as much fiber glass and lexan as possible, caged (12pt).

In the next week or 2 I should be starting a progress thread. Should be fun. This is my first attempt at a "track only" car that wasn't designed to turn left all the time. Lol