new rims need best tire size.??

whyask

Apr 4, 2005
Sacramento
I have 17/9 brand new rims and i was thinkning about 275/40/17 but I have a 97 vert and not sure how wide I can go and whats the best size for that year...Thanks guys ...also were can I get a set of used ones...???

• Sponsors (?)

I have 17 x 9 wheels also, now I have 255/45/17 kumho 712's and they
look and handle good although they are worn out. I went down to NTW
to check out some BFG/kdw 275/40/17 tires, and compared to my 255's
they look huge, too big for the front imo, they would look good on the back
but I kind of like the all 4 wheels and tire the same look........ so I will
probably go with the 255's again.

streethorse said:
I have 17 x 9 wheels also, now I have 255/45/17 kumho 712's and they
look and handle good although they are worn out. I went down to NTW
to check out some BFG/kdw 275/40/17 tires, and compared to my 255's
they look huge, too big for the front imo, they would look good on the back
but I kind of like the all 4 wheels and tire the same look........ so I will
probably go with the 255's again.
Dude I use to have the khumos ,in my opinion thy suck azz, to hard compound is not hooking for nothing,that was my worse tire choice I have ever made,and 255 is to narrow for 9 inch rim lips of the wheel gonna stick out.
Once again go whit 275 ail the way around you gonna thank me later.

I have 275's all the way around and don't like them on the front. They have a tendency to follow everything in the roadway and will "railroad" you places. I've bought some new 18" rims and I'm putting 295's on the back and 255's up front. If you want all 4 the same then get 255's. Bigger than that and you may or may not like them.

OK just got back from the tire shop, got 275/40/17 in the rear, and I think I need to lower it just a little more. But man they feel and look great, almost went with 295 but I was told they would rub....

whyask said:
OK just got back from the tire shop, got 275/40/17 in the rear, and I think I need to lower it just a little more. But man they feel and look great, almost went with 295 but I was told they would rub....
295 never gonna rub dude never!
I got 315 no rubbing what so ever....................