New stang 2001gt owner, need some help

ezeebink

Jan 16, 2020
Michigan
I live in michigan where today it was 20 degrees this morning, i started my car to go to school and it doesn’t want to stay running ( i have to feather the gas). i eventually just drove holding the break and driving with my foot on the gas at all times, does anyone know what this could be? I just replaced the battery yesterday and the problem wasn’t occurring before.

• Sponsors (?)

I understand that I should clean my IAC but I'm 17 and have no clue about cars. My mom doesn't now anything and I don't want to take it to the stealership. Anyone who has had this problem please let me know what I should clean it with and where I find my IAC. Thank you

I just replaced the battery yesterday and the problem wasn’t occurring before.
^^^THIS is likely your problem. Why? Because after a battery replacement the PCM must re-learn all of the IAC idle trim settings. It should be EXPECTED to have a poor idle right after a battery disconnect.

To speed up the re-learning. Allow the motor to idle for a full minute at full operating temperature. Repeat with the AC on.

I had a 1996 Mustang GT that was completely un-driveable after a battery disconnect. The idle re-learn procedure had to be done to just get it down the driveway after any repair.

Troubleshoot IAC idle problems 1996-2004

This is why it's so important to maintain the battery and charging system in tip top shape.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Last edited:
I would let my car warm up almost all the way if it were me. Even here in florida when it gets 48 I let it get plenty warm. My Tacoma hardy goes until its warrm. Its got 350,000 miles. Some articles say its bad or not needed . Always runs better in closed loop.