New tires...

usa1

Feb 14, 2003
I'm going to be moving to Rochester, MN in a couple of months and I need to buy new tires for my 2003 GT. I don't want to get any super sporty low mileage tires, but I'm hoping for better ones than stock that might be OK in Minnesota. Is this a realistic hope or should I resign myself to owning two sets of tires when I live there, one for summer and one for winter? Is it even logical to expect a Mustang GT (manual) to be a viable winter car regardless of the tires I put on it?

I'm new to snow country, so I would appreciate any input from someone in the area or from a similar climate. Thanks!

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

I drove mine all winter in the snow,and so do others,but if you get any more than 2 or 3 inches you are gonna have some problems.In Minnesota you will probably get 10x the amount of snow I do.So I would say this is a bad idea.Id start saving for a winter beater.Good luck.

Anyone else have thoughts on owning a dedicated set of snow tires when living in a climate like this? I imagine my GT being a stick shift would make winter driving even that much more complicated.

Mark

usa1 said:
Anyone else have thoughts on owning a dedicated set of snow tires when living in a climate like this? I imagine my GT being a stick shift would make winter driving even that much more complicated.

Mark
eh?

So get dome decent all weather performance tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1's or similar) and buy a cheap 4wd for use in the snow. If the roads are cleared any car will be driveable, but when it really snows 4wd is the ONLY sensible choice.

Falken Ziex ZE-512s are rated #1 by Consumer Reports magazine and are great in rain and snow. I have them and they would climb my very steep snow covered drive way when my Honda Civic would not. They are $99 each for P245-45ZR17 from tires.com. Sears Automotive stocks them as well but you wil pay $148 from Sears.

Its really better to just have summer tires and then buy a set of dedicated snow tires. Its better to have summer tires that work well in good weather and snow tires that are good in the winter, than to have one pair of all season tires that do not handle either season well. All seasons are a nice middle ground for people who drive normal cars but there is not a pair of allseason tires that is going to handle a MN winter in a mustang. I dove my car to work every day this winter, we had something like 10 feet of snow total with one storm leaving 3' overnight. I would have been stuck on any brand of allseasons.

I have toyo proxes 4 and they seem to work fairly well in any weather, however this past winter I did lose control once, I don't reccommend driving in 3 inches of fresh snow. I would reccommend theses tires and I would assume the bf goodrich kdws would be a good choice as well.