New to the "Classic" Forum, old to Stangnet

95CobraStang

Jan 21, 2004
Chico, CA
Hi everybody-

Quick history: I have owned two stangs - a '95 Cobra and a 2001 GT vert. I loved both of them and sold for different reasons. Anyway, as I drive in my so-called "refined" car, I can't help but keep asking myself, "what the hell have I done???" I miss the unrefined power of the stang. Sure I have a v-8 in my current car, but the power comes on smoothly...not neck jerking like I'm used to...and as I'm learning, not like I'd prefer.

Enough of that...now, to the point of this post...

I'm looking into buying a '65-'68 stang to restore. I'm not experienced in metal work, so rust repair or anything that requires actual fabrication is probably a no go...ie. repairing floor pans, etc..

Assuming a body with little to no rust, what will I be getting myself into? To all of you guys who have restored your Stangs, do you have any advice/words of wisdom/warnings to give me? Are parts generally easy to come by?

Sorry for the open-ended question, but this is my first resto project... I'm trying to see just what I'll be getting myself into.

Thanks,

Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

The '65-'66 models have huge parts availability at a lower price. '67-'68 has pretty good availability as well, but the costs are a little higher. That, and there are an awful lot more parts in the later cars than in the very simple '65-'66. Even the wiring, which is normally the most complex component, could be handled and repaired by almost anybody who isn't colourblind. The initial purchase price will probably be lower as well, unless it is fastback or convertable. But that is the case with any of the years.

Watch for rust in the cowl and floorboards beneath the cowl. Poor water down the vents behind the hood and look for water coming in the car. Here's a link you should look at to show why a person with little metal working skills should walk away from a leaky cowl. http://www.cox-internet.com/bjennings/cowlrepair.htm

Basically, buy the very best car in the model you prefer that you can afford and you be off to the best start.

Thanks for the link... Great example of what I need to steer clear from. Also for the water trick as well.

So you're saying that the wiring on '67 and '68 is more complex? Big difference or slight??

Thanks again,

Kyle

Finding a classic that needs no rust repair will mean either a low mileage desert car, or a car that's already been restored.

Either way it'll cost you. I'd plan on having to do at least a small amount of rust repair (Ie Floor pans) and pay someone to do it if you must.

The wiring may be slightly more complex, but not enough to worry about. It's true that some of the 69-70 parts are hard to find and cost more, but it's not all that bad. What I'd suggest is that you pick the classic with the body style you like the most and go for that car... if you run into a tie between years or bodystyles, then start looking into stuff like parts availability and specific areas of strength/weekness.

I've persoanlly never seen a turbo'd classic stang. There are pletny fox body and up stangs that are turbo'd. It would definately be unique. I want to add a power adder to my 67 coupe one day and have always wanted to go with a novi-1200 setup. The problem with a turbo setup is that I would have to ditch my LT's and get all new and most liekly custom exhaust manifolds for it. Not an option I really want to consider when I paid $500 for my long tubes. But a great idea for anyone starting from scratch.

If you want a 68 coupe, I have one for sale. I was restoring it, but decided to work on my 67 instead. It has some rust that needs to be taken care in the lower rear quarter panels (common) and has acquired some surface rust since it has been sitting outside for about 4 months now. I do plan on sanding down the surface rust and throwing on a few new coats of primer. It does not have a cowl leak, I have replaced the floor pans (full legnth), has new sound deadening and new carpet. I also have a 4bbl 289 (C code) for it and a 3 speed manual transmission (neither of these two are in the car). I live in the Los Angeles area, so if you are interested at looking at it, let me know and we can set something up. If anyone knows of someone looking for a project, its a good starter.

-Edgar

I may just be. (Shhh we arent supposed to discuss this stuff here...classifieds)

I am in Northern Cali, but will actually be heading to Santa Barbara on Oct 27 and LA isn't out of the question at all.

I'll PM for more info.

There are a couple of guys that have turbo'd classics. 10secgoal and Paul302 both have turbo classics.

However, there are currently no turbo kits available (tho you may be able to talk someone into making one for you).

If you do decide to go turbo, it'll most likely involve custom fab work.

Sorry abotu that, I thought your location was Chino, Ca. That's about 40 minutes away.

I agree with BottleFed70, custom fabrication would be needed, especially with the exhaust manifolds, but it would be one very cool stang. You may want to check out your local Ford Car Shows for ideas if anyone has one. The big one down here is at Knott's Berry Farm and I have never seen a turbo'd classic there...then again, I didn't look much.