New To The Forum, Need Help!!!

take pictures of

• clutch pedal
  • under the dash where the pedal meets the other pedals- on the back of the clutch pedal is the cable attached to a quadrant- it is either plastic if stock or aluminum if aftermarket
  • under the hood on the firewall to the left of the brake booster you will see where the clutch cable come out
  • under the car on the driver side of the car where the engine attaches to the bellhouing you will see where the clutch cable attaches to the piece that goes into the bellhousing to activate the clutch
It sounds like some nut swinger did a homebrew clutch install. The clutch pedal should engage about an inch off the floor
will do once I get to work and sun comes up! Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Here's what I'm thinking. It sounds like you have the stock 2 piece ratcheting quadrant that was not reset when the new clutch was installed.

Here are some things you mIght want to look at.

1. Try putting your foot under the pedal and lifting up on it, then push it down. This is how the stock adjuster works.

2. You will need to lay the drivers side seat all the way back and lay on your back up underneath the dash with a flashlight to see if there is a 2 piece white plastic quadrant. move the pedal with your hand to see it.

3. Under the drivers side of the hood there is a vacuum tree. Almost directly underneath that is where the clutch cable goes into the engine compartment. If you see a rubber bushing about 1/2" thick it's most likely a stock cable. If there is an aluminum piece that's a firewall adjuster.

Here's what I'm thinking. It sounds like you have the stock 2 piece ratcheting quadrant that was not reset when the new clutch was installed.

Here are some things you mIght want to look at.

1. Try putting your foot under the pedal and lifting up on it, then push it down. This is how the stock adjuster works.

2. You will need to lay the drivers side seat all the way back and lay on your back up underneath the dash with a flashlight to see if there is a 2 piece white plastic quadrant. move the pedal with your hand to see it.

3. Under the drivers side of the hood there is a vacuum tree. Almost directly underneath that is where the clutch cable goes into the engine compartment. If you see a rubber bushing about 1/2" thick it's most likely a stock cable. If there is an aluminum piece that's a firewall adjuster.
I have tried pulling the pedal back and pushing it down, it didn't do anything :(

Luckily for me I have the seat out right now because I'm in the process of replacing the floor pan lol. And I'll look for the adjuster. Thank you!

This is not true, I will not try talking you into drinking "tons of beer", I will merely show you optional beverages periodically and suggest non-traditional times during the day to sample these products.

As for the mini tub.....Replacing my floor boards was one of the first fixes on my mustang.....then that knucklehead @RaggedGT gets on my thread and starts strong arming me into making certain modifications. Chris has been drinking too much Mississippi Mud to speak coherently right now, ignore his posts.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been to scared to pull it out of the driveway to try and shift it lol!!! I'll start googling right now haha But I really hope it is a simple fix so I can drive it for the first time. Actually have to replace a hose where previous owner had bypassed the heater core and the line busted and blew coolant all over my works parking lot lol. That'll be getting replaced tomorrow
BTW, ask yourself why they would bypass the heater core....

Hooking it back up may give you a wet interior. Heater core is probably leaking.

Had one of my mechanic buddys at the dealership I work at look at it and he said the quadrants still in one piece! Said he thinks we could just loosen the clutch cable and that should do the trick, couldn't get any pics but I will keep you guys updated!! Thanks for all your help!

Seems like something on the quadrant is broke. the pedal should stop and not come up that high even when theres no cable attached. Sounds like you need to look at the clutch, clutch lever, and cable to the quadrant and check to see if you have the correct cable also, and check if everything is in installed correctly. Pick up a haynes manual and reference that. Good luck with it and post back if you figured it out.

Well guys, I just got her back from the shop. Ran me a small total of $400 for parts (clutch and new clutch fork and 3 quarts of mercon V from where p.o had gear oil in it) and labor! Can't use first gear though it wants to keep popping out so i have to use 2nd to take off but I was aware of that when I got the car. I do smell a faint burning clutch smell though. Is that from where the new clutch is bedding down? Or what? My pedal still sits up high too.

Well guys, I just got her back from the shop. Ran me a small total of $400 for parts (clutch and new clutch fork and 3 quarts of mercon V from where p.o had gear oil in it) and labor! Can't use first gear though it wants to keep popping out so i have to use 2nd to take off but I was aware of that when I got the car. I do smell a faint burning clutch smell though. Is that from where the new clutch is bedding down? Or what? My pedal still sits up high too.

The shop didn't say anything about the pedal being high? Post a pic of the pedal if you can. Could be improperly installed clutch cable. Something's doesn't sound right about the clutch pedal being high. I think if you figure that out you will solve other problems. First gear popping out means you have a worn transmission.

The shop didn't say anything about the pedal being high? Post a pic of the pedal if you can. Could be improperly installed clutch cable. Something's doesn't sound right about the clutch pedal being high. I think if you figure that out you will solve other problems. First gear popping out means you have a worn transmission.
They said it could be the cable as well. It functions for now though lol. Dropping some pics below