New To The Forum, Need Help!!!

Okil69

Active User
Jun 1, 2016
Columbia KY
Hey everyone, new guy here. I just got my first fox (my dream car) it's a 91 GT 5.0 5 speed. Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place but it has clutch troubles and I have no clue what it could be. I'm not familiar with standard transmission vehicles as this is my first one. Anyways, the clutch pedal is about 6-8 higher than the brake and gas pedal (almost touching bottom of dash) and the clutch itself won't engage. You can put the car in gear and let off the clutch and rev it to about 4k and then all of a sudden the clutch grabs and pulls the car. Was told it had a new clutch put in about a month ago and has another new clutch to go with it because the guy thinks it out again. Before I went tearing into it I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and again any and all help is greatly appreciated as I am new to the foxbody and working on standard transmissions. Thanks to any and all who help.
Austin

• Sponsors (?)

That is odd. Normally I see the opposite where the clutch pedal is on the ground. Can you look to see if you have a metal clutch quadrant and then again in the engine bay for a metal firewall adjuster?

Reactions: 1 user
For the pedal to be that high, the only thing I can think of would be the wrong length cable. Cable too short.

Get us the requested info. Also check under the car by the bell housing and tell us if there is a long adjustable thread at the end of the cable.

Clutch pedal feels like all the other manual transmission cars I've driven. But I haven't got to drive it due to the problems its having. You can put it in 1st or reverse and let off and it doesn't do anything until you rev to about 4k then the clutch grabs

Sounds like you have the wrong cable like suggested or it's improperly placed on its hook not allowing the clutch to disengage properly.

Clutch pedal feels like all the other manual transmission cars I've driven. But I haven't got to drive it due to the problems its having. You can put it in 1st or reverse and let off and it doesn't do anything until you rev to about 4k then the clutch grabs
So, it hooks up at 4K. Have you tried shifting it to second after that? What happens?

The problem I've got is that it hooks up at 4K. That means the engine is finally producing enough power to spin the slipping clutch enough to make the car move. Clutch pedal real high too? Google clutch quadrant and also firewall clutch cable adjuster so you know what they look like.

The cable sounds all screwed up, way too tight. It's not allowing the clutch to engage. My guess, but I think it's a simple fix.

So, it hooks up at 4K. Have you tried shifting it to second after that? What happens?

The problem I've got is that it hooks up at 4K. That means the engine is finally producing enough power to spin the slipping clutch enough to make the car move. Clutch pedal real high too? Google clutch quadrant and also firewall clutch cable adjuster so you know what they look like.

The cable sounds all screwed up, way too tight. It's not allowing the clutch to engage. My guess, but I think it's a simple fix.
I've been to scared to pull it out of the driveway to try and shift it lol!!! I'll start googling right now haha But I really hope it is a simple fix so I can drive it for the first time. Actually have to replace a hose where previous owner had bypassed the heater core and the line busted and blew coolant all over my works parking lot lol. That'll be getting replaced tomorrow

I've been to scared to pull it out of the driveway to try and shift it lol!!! I'll start googling right now haha But I really hope it is a simple fix so I can drive it for the first time. Actually have to replace a hose where previous owner had bypassed the heater core and the line busted and blew coolant all over my works parking lot lol. That'll be getting replaced tomorrow
Yeah man, I agree with the other guys about the wrong clutch cable being the problem most likely.

take pictures of

• clutch pedal
  • under the dash where the pedal meets the other pedals- on the back of the clutch pedal is the cable attached to a quadrant- it is either plastic if stock or aluminum if aftermarket
  • under the hood on the firewall to the left of the brake booster you will see where the clutch cable come out
  • under the car on the driver side of the car where the engine attaches to the bellhouing you will see where the clutch cable attaches to the piece that goes into the bellhousing to activate the clutch
It sounds like some nut swinger did a homebrew clutch install. The clutch pedal should engage about an inch off the floor