new to the mustang world

kbradner

Nov 12, 2006
Knoxville TN
I have a 5.0 88 coupe and I am trying to figure out what the biggest cam I can run with stock pistons.?? Also my brake arent working hardly at all, where to start?? I have a lot to fix the mustang has some vacuum issues and it has a efi dist. on it so it runs like crap. I think I need a new carb too. seen some cheapies on ebay fo rlike 60 hei anyone know about these?

• Sponsors (?)

with stock heads, I wouldn't get "the biggest cam that fits" imo... The stock cam does a good job.

Carb with EFI dizzy? Find a distributor from an 85 Mustang or any carbed 302 from E150's or F150's... If the donner engine had a flat tappet cam, you will need to swap gears in the dizzy before installing it.

Welcome to the stang world... have lots of fun, those cars have the right amounts of fun factor :D

If you are having alot of vacuum issues your brake problems are probably related. Fix the vacuum leaks first and see if the power brakes improve before spending alot of time investigating other things. As far as the cam, I'd have to agree with Boss 351, it would be a waste to install a large cam in an engine with stock heads because they won't be able to flow enough.

well I got in there today messing around and did a little vacuum rerouting and it helped my brakes out some so I guess I definatly haved some vacuum issues with the brakes. I have a mess off wires though, me and my buddy are in teh process of rewiring. got a dist. for a 85 but cant figure out where the black, black and red, and purple and black wires go??????