New Top Time - Need advise on price

Quarterbore

Founding Member
Jul 12, 2002
Valley Forge, PA
I need a new top for our 1967 Convertible and the top is in very rough shape. I called a local Mustang specialty shop and the gave me a car unseen estimate of $1400 - $1500 to have the top done. Here is the shop:

http://www.mustangbarn.com

Our 67 is Nightmist Blue and we are after a white top. There are other places around that will do tops and I need to call around to compare prices but I am curious if this is a reasonable price for a quality top?

I also asked about fresh paint and I was quoted $10,000 which was a little more then I had expected so I am going to need to get things finished up in stages. The car needs a tune up and minor work to the carborator, the top, and fresh paint but I may need to look at the paint options pretty carefully as I don't have a spare $10K :(

I know a number of people have done their own tops but I travel a lot for work and with three kids and a business on the side I just do not have the time to even consider doing the top myself and I want to at least get the car running better and the new top for a special birthday for my wife...

I can't say how young she is getting but the '67 is special for a reason and her birthday is in January...

:lol:

• Sponsors (?)

I live near you, and athough I do not know the new owner, Fred Glazier always did quality work. Depending on what they need to do, that price may not be out of line. Typically when replacing a top on an old Mustang, many other wear items must be replaced or repaired. You can save money by prepping the top yourself, then bring it to an Upholstry Shop to install the top. I have done several tops myself, but in the past ten or so years, I have been preping them and sending the car to M&A Upholstery in West Chester, they do a great job, and are easy to work with. The last top I got cost under 500, with me doing the prep work. You might want to check out V&J Auto Body in Paoli for a price on paint.
Good luck
Rick