"new" Used Motor Inspection Tips

MynameisRob

Jun 9, 2015
Hey guys. New guy here.
I tried* to search but still figuring out the site.
Just have a simple question. Just bought a replacement motor for my 03' GT and I was curious what I should look for as far as potential damage or possible future problems. It's an 03' Vic motor. PI Romeo.
Also, what are some things I should replace/refresh while its out?
Already have a new intake mani,
Water and oil pump, timing kit, head changing kit and gaskets all the way around. Am I missing anything?
Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering why the new oil pump and timing set? Is this a high mileage motor? Why not inspect the timing set while on the engine stand?

Consider swapping oil pans so that the higher Mustang oil capacity is retained. Check to be sure that the oil pick up is clean.

As far as things that should be replaced, add new motor mounts to the list.

Consider sending the fuel injectors out for cleaning and flow test during the removal/swap. Once cleanted and tested they are as good as new. Cheaper than new. I have had great luck with InjectorRX.com. IMO this is a better place to spend the $$'s than a new oil pump.

Check the rear main seal for evidence of leaking. If any found, replace.

If the budget allows, new front O2 sensors. Especially if the old ones are high mileage.

Sorry, I should've specified a little more. The current oil and water pump that are already in the car are new because the motor coming out of it was a high mileage motor.
Thank you for the quick response. I'll definitely add to the list injector cleaning and o2 sensors.