New (used) stang-autp trans question

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
Hagerstown, MD
I found the car of my dreams. Bought on the 4th of July. What better day to buy an american made Ford?
It's an 92 GT Vert 5.0 auto-BONE STOCK! It's never been touched. Every original part is still in place. Emerald green, white top, white leather interior.

The question. I think this is the very first car I have ever owned that had an auto trans in it. It shifts very hard in every gear. No slipping or noises. Runs smooth otherwise. Does this trans have a vacuum modulator? Maybe the vacuum line is off? I'm not familur with the auto cars at all. Thanks!

OH! I forgot something!
The rear glass in the vert top. The bottom edge has seperated from the glass. Can this be repaired (by a shop) or should I order a new rear glass from 50resto?

• Sponsors (?)

if you have an aod and it shifts hard your lucky!!!!!!...lol.......maybe it already has a shift kit in it, if not put one in. it does have a vacuum modulator but you'll have to drive it and make some assesment as to what may be wrong or right with it. if it shifts through all the gears ok but is firm or bumps a little it may have a shift kit. does it kick down properly when you floor it?? biggest thing on them is to make sure the tv cable is adjusted right ( you can search this topic ) and to not abuse over drive. some one else can help you with the window issue as i'm clueless about verts......

ok, i bought my car and realized the same thing... very hard shifting, especially when accelerating steadily, not quite WOT. sometimes i can get a chirp out of 2nd gear at WOT on dry ground with good conditions, with a stock AOD (as far as i know) with only about 160 horse under the hood.

as for the vert window, mine came with the same thing, got a hole punched in the top of the top and just got a whole new top. i think they said they could glue the window back on, but it wouldnt last long at all and theyd have to stretch the vinyl back out to reach to the window. anyway, nice score on the car, sounds like a classy kind of sunday driver.

I'm almost certain it is all stock. I looked at the pan but that won't tell much. The previous owner passed away, and left it to the women i bought it from. She only drove it a few weeks. This thing is rock stock front to back. I was concerned that if it's not supposed to do that , that it may cause more damage.

Yes, it shifts through all the gears and into overdrive. Also kicks down when floored like it should. Just all the gears are a hard kick at part throttle like you said except overdrive which is smooth. Someone else suggested the torque converter may be failing but I don't think that's it. If it's normal, then fine. Just seems like a pretty hard kick to me. And yes, I got second to chirp with about three quarters throttle. Runs great.

I'll call a couple auto upholstry shops and see what they can do with the bottom of the glass. The new top is going to cost too much right now. But is what I would want to do anyway eventually. It's in pretty rough shape. Thanks!

There is no vacuum modulator on the AOD. It's all controlled off the TV cable. To set it you need to know what you are doing really.

My AOD shifts soft. Only a slight kick at low throttle on the 1-2 shift but everything else is sort of a rolling shift. It's shifting this way since 50K miles. It has 106K now and still shifts soft.

Pull the dipstick and check the fluid color and level. If all appears normal, I'd say not too fret too much. It may have a shift kit but I highly doubt the converter is going. Do a search on checking the tv cable and its setting. May want to run it by a tranny shop to get it set up properly.

Get yourself a good tranny cooler to help make sure that thing lives a long life. It can even help on a stock motored car. Just a little insurance.

Good find, post up some pics.

there is a vacuum modulator of some kind on the aod.......or unless my manual is wrong........it shows on on the side of the tranny, although i don't think it serves the same purpose as a traditional modualtor like a c-4 or c-6. someone check on this for me please.....lol....so i know i'm not nutts....well, wrong anyway...

Tried to get some pictures, but the dig camera floppy drv failed so I broke down and bought a memory stick-memory stick error...can't win. Car is in Maryland and I'm back in Florida. No pictures for awhile.

I was going to have the whole car gone over for the trip to Florida. I'll have them check the TV cable. Have read some about it. Also, the level and color look ok. Not great, just ok. Not burned or bad smell. Just needs changed. I'll have that done too with a new filter of course. Thanks!