Newby, but oldie

Hello Guys,
I am new to the Stang forum but excited to be hear among other motorheads. I have a 1989 LX 5.0, 5 speed. I inherited from my Uncle Steve who lived in Ohio at the time. He was a great guy and raced, worked on cars and spent time in the garage. Great memories! So, this stang apparently has been built by a shop up in Dayton, Ohio(I am in Florida) and has plenty of power (for me anyway). I have spent time working on the stang and noticed some issues that many of you may have already experienced. 1.) Overheating (to the point it wont start) I replaced the radiator with a three core and put dual fans on. Seems to have corrected the problem. 2.) Charging system. I lost count of the number of batteries I have purchased for the stang. No, I haven't replaced the alternator. Reason, there seems to be a draw on the battery I can't locate. 3.) Most recently I have had fuel issues and now on third fuel pump. Today I changed fuel filter and have good pressure at schrader valve. Cranks, but won't start. It will fire when spraying start fluid in the intake. And yes I put the air filter system back together prior to cranking. Pulled one plug to ensure it was firing and had a nice blue spark. Anyway, sorry to jump in as a problem child, but that's my Stang story and I will stick to it. I look forward to the group and hopefully I can even help some others, with my own stories and mistakes!
Cobrahead

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have all the problems currently others are experiencing...You need the help of the Myakka old school boys. Check around town for some of those old school guys out there. I have noticed over the years lots of Foxbody racing parts coming out of Myakka, or you can look up the No Start Checklist. Done/checked in order you can solve most problems with our cars. Uncle Steve would be proud to have you put some pictures up of your nice car.

Reactions: 1 user
What,.....wait who is uncle Steve?
foxbodys in Myakka City? Last time I was there they didn't even have a traffic light and the stop sign was optional :jester:
Here's a link the the 'cranks but no start checklist'

Sounds like you have all the problems currently others are experiencing...You need the help of the Myakka old school boys. Check around town for some of those old school guys out there. I have noticed over the years lots of Foxbody racing parts coming out of Myakka, or you can look up the No Start Checklist. Done/checked in order you can solve most problems with our cars. Uncle Steve would be proud to have you put some pictures up of your nice car.
Yeah, thanks man I feel like I almost got it, but then something else happens. There are motorheads, mechanics and Myakka snake hunters out here. lol I appreciate the tip. I have had the stang at Desoto Speedway Thursday night bring what you got and race all night for $25. That's when I realized I needed different tires. lol
I'm going keep plugging away, can't stop now!

• Hell Yeah!
What,.....wait who is uncle Steve?
foxbodys in Myakka City? Last time I was there they didn't even have a traffic light and the stop sign was optional :jester:
Here's a link the the 'cranks but no start checklist'
Thanks General, My Uncle Steve suffered an Aortic Aneurysm and is no longer with us. He was a great guy. But yeah, Myakka has no traffic light and the stop sign says WHOOAH! And, of course the gas station the sells fried everything, it's called Myakka Fried!! No relation to Myakka Gold, that's a completely different story.....Man, I'm getting old. lol Appreciate the tip.

Okay, I found the checklist and will begin the process in order as it says. I will take a few pictures and let you know my progress. Thanks to all who gave the tips.
Oh yeah, I have a 1989, LX 5.0, 5 speed, that has been built up a bit (not sure exactly what was done, but I'm going find out). Currently replaced fuel pump and filter; now having a crank-over but won't start, won't fire.... unless I spray starter fluid in the intake (then fires briefly) good pressure to Schrader valve...and that's about it. I have the checklist and I am ready to begin troubleshooting! Update soon......and maybe an Irace or two in between troubleshooting.

Myakka Valley Ranches, now there is a tight community of cowboys and rough necks. A place where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Of course, every cowboy has a pair of velcro gloves! lol Okay, all jokes aside I seriously don't think MVR has changed a bit. It's kind off the dusty trail and even the entrance to that place says "you've been warned"! I know a few people in there and they have kept it pretty much the same. Although, they are slowly creeping to the east with the housing developments. SR 64 is a zoo, SR 70 is built almost to Panther Ridge and then you got Fruitville and SR 72, which are not far behind. Pics, I can do and plan to start today with the check list. I'll post some of my biggest mistakes and regrets as well!
Later

• Haha
Okay, so I started the checklist for the cranks won't start and here's the latest with pictures and video of spark test.
IMO the spark test failed according to the checklist which states "should have a fat blue spark". I'll let you decide but it looks like a kind of fat orange spark to me. So, I stop here and decide what need to be corrected.......

What distributor do you have? Motorcraft
let me see if I have a good picture if it, I really haven't examined it. Just remember this about me, the last hot rod I had was a 1968 Camaro SS. I was restoring it and my first grandson was born. I put it up for sell in Sarasota, Fl about 15 years ago for $11,000.00. The first guy that came to see it, looked at for 5 minutes and wrote me a check. I have been sick ever since.........:doh::ack:
Anyway, I know these foxbody's are old, but to me there's too much crap that can go wrong with all the fancy dancy wiring and injector and fuel pumps in the tank, blah, blah, blah. So yeah, I'll find out, it's probably a motor craft. It doesn't look high performance, I did replace the plugs cap and wiring within the past year.

let me see if I have a good picture if it, I really haven't examined it. Just remember this about me, the last hot rod I had was a 1968 Camaro SS. I was restoring it and my first grandson was born. I put it up for sell in Sarasota, Fl about 15 years ago for $11,000.00. The first guy that came to see it, looked at for 5 minutes and wrote me a check. I have been sick ever since.........:doh::ack:
Anyway, I know these foxbody's are old, but to me there's too much crap that can go wrong with all the fancy dancy wiring and injector and fuel pumps in the tank, blah, blah, blah. So yeah, I'll find out, it's probably a motor craft. It doesn't look high performance, I did replace the plugs cap and wiring within the past year.

Is there an easy way to get pictures on here. I'm having the Damnest time. I took pictures and a video of my spark test and can't seem to get them to load. Maybe I can do it straight from my iphone too Stangnet.com. Standby to standby!
Okay, I found the checklist and will begin the process in order as it says. I will take a few pictures and let you know my progress. Thanks to all who gave the tips.
Oh yeah, I have a 1989, LX 5.0, 5 speed, that has been built up a bit (not sure exactly what was done, but I'm going find out). Currently replaced fuel pump and filter; now having a crank-over but won't start, won't fire.... unless I spray starter fluid in the intake (then fires briefly) good pressure to Schrader valve...and that's about it. I have the checklist and I am ready to begin troubleshooting! Update soon......and maybe an Irace or two in between troubleshooting.

Attachments

• 122A1A6C-F7F6-4366-B542-05B306B543FD.jpeg
    122A1A6C-F7F6-4366-B542-05B306B543FD.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 75
  • F3CE5FB1-8BD8-4A6B-927E-39C15348C46D.jpeg
    F3CE5FB1-8BD8-4A6B-927E-39C15348C46D.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 64
  • D90CCE44-BB82-4BF9-8AF5-9BF5B302F7F4.jpeg
    D90CCE44-BB82-4BF9-8AF5-9BF5B302F7F4.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 72
  • E6DFE8A1-9DDB-43E8-B2DA-99D4B9C7A3C2.jpeg
    E6DFE8A1-9DDB-43E8-B2DA-99D4B9C7A3C2.jpeg