Nickel, chrome, or ceramic Tri-Y's

chemeng

Feb 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
Need an opinion. I currently have the hi-temp black tri-y's on my '65. The hi-temp paint lasted about 4 weeks, now I have the beautiful baked rust look. Want to switch but not sure about the advantages/disadvantages of the coatings above. Couldn't find any stainless tri-y's so I didn't include in the list.

Will the chrome and nickel discolor over time and can they be cleaned up? How easy is it to put a ding in the ceramic and it starts rusting? Would like this to be the last set of headers I buy.

Thanks for the input, Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I vote for the ceramic coating, i had the same black hi-temp coating on my when i bought they unused for a good deal from a friend. Had a high school buddy how does coatings do them for me. I have $270 total in the headers w/ the ceramic coating included. No complaints and after 2+ years no signs of coming off..Here's a partial pic
835961_33_full.jpg

I bout Patriot Tri-Y ceramics

I think they were $286 from summit, they look good, but they aint on the car yet.

Hey, SoCalCruising, send me a yahoo message or something, want to get my head with yours on something.

just for the record .... JBA now offers stainless Tri-Y's with coatings for SB & BB .... the SB version has some restrictions on application .... and they're not cheap - either quality or price ....

Well, I may be late, but I was going to vote for Nickel chromed.:nice: I bought a set ,used off ebay, have no idea how old they were when I bought em. but they've been on my 89 Ranger now for 3-4 years. They don't look new, but have a blued patina finish but no rust to speak of. Been welded on a few times too. I welded around the ports outside to port match the insides better for the Canfield heads. Had to repair a couple cracks that developed on the driver's side primary "Y's" . These have been the best $85 headers I've ever bought.:D