Night Shifter 00GT build progress thread...take 2

Night Shifter

Dec 24, 2005
Daytona
once again i am doing another build...some of you on here know that last november i had a problem where my car just wouldnt start so i had to bring it back home and tear it apart to figure out the problem so here it goes...

pulled tranny found that the pilot bearing had blown apart and wedged itself in there so bad that the crank wouldnt turn over..so with the motor out i decided to go for broke on a new build

old build:

aluminator short block
ported heads
v2 sq 10psi
+boltons/exhaust listed in sig

new build:

took apart the motor to check and make sure no other damage occured
hitech stage 2 cams
8.8 rebuild kit
31spline superior axles
MM full lenth subframes
MM tubular k
MM front coilovers
MM rear LCAs
New Paint

doesnt seem like much i know but i sold the vortech kit to a friend so i could buy cams and suspension.. i also never got around to painting/installing my STB either so that will be going in also..as of right now im probably keeping the mac LT's but im in huge debate with myself if i wanna drop another $400 for some bbk's instead... paint and body work will probably be the last thing on my list of things to do

for right now, i have the motor out and am working on putting it back together and putting the cams in..should be finished with all this by mid week next week..

once thats in ill be heading to the rear and putting in my new axels and rebuild kit...it needed it...i have 3.73's already so im not touching those..

once done with that, the subrames will be next, then also the STB will be painted and thrown in..

im placing the order for the K member and LCA's next friday so once that comes in, ill be working on that project

lastly paint and any other changes i feel like making will be done

pics of motor work and all those things going on right now will be posted up later tonight because i am at work right now and dont have any access to them... my goal it to build up an open track car that can also be driven on the street..im not trying for american iron or anything but im planning on having a car that can out handle anything

and if youre wondering, i got rid of the s/c because cams seemed better for the road course than being an FI car...im not needing to make a bajillion horsepower right now so that was no problem with me..i just want an all out N/A car that i can take to open track events and be able to come out on top..

eventually waaay later down the road ill be buying a cobra, throwing some bolt ons and exhuast if not already done when i buy it, and will do a full out AI build on this car..

anyway, thats how it goes for now..pics up later..so build progress take 2 :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Nice build bro... Keep the Mac LT's, the quality is the same as the BBK's, plus they have better ground clearance. Not worth dropping another $400 IMO.

Can't go wrong with MM suspension parts too, all their stuff is the highest quality & has excellent fitment. What front struts are you going with Bilstein, Koni, or Tokico, & what spring rate?

Looks like a sweet build, can't wait to see the numbers. I am thinking about the hitech stage II cams for my car and now I can see what they'll do.

ill be posting the results up the second i get them

Nice build bro... Keep the Mac LT's, the quality is the same as the BBK's, plus they have better ground clearance. Not worth dropping another $400 IMO.

Can't go wrong with MM suspension parts too, all their stuff is the highest quality & has excellent fitment. What front struts are you going with Bilstein, Koni, or Tokico, & what spring rate?

i was thinking the same about the headers...just when i pulled them off the coating looked horrible...maybe ill just do a quickie recoat to make myself happy

im basically going to be buying the whole mm catalog..because of my new job i can basically get every part from them half priced...as for the spring rate im debating on 850-900 in the front and possible 650 in the rear...gonna be a stiff ride with no comfort lol but im making this a handling car so oh well lol...and im probably sticking with bilstein...thought about tokico a bit but bilstein seems to be working well with everyone ive talked to

if anyone else has suspension ideas i d like to hear them

i am..i am planning on a full on MM build of suspension...ive been waiting to pick up a phb ever since epik posted his thread about irs vs sra..

i just want to get the k member and coilovers done first since thats gonna be the biggest chunk of my money right now..ill also be adding an adj. sway bar too

im also throwing in small things like a ds safety loop and new rims since im only running the stock 8 inchers.. ive looked into widening them since theyre only 17lbs but for the price buying new ones would be better

for now heres the few pics ive taken so far..

not sure if ive put pics of the new hood up yet but here is one..
HPIM2336.jpg

and the empty engine bay..
HPIM2338.jpg

more to come... i have a whole rack of parts..gonna take a pic of that later and put it up

AB FTW!!! Love that hood. :nice::nice:

Just threw a P1SC at my car. :D

thanks! and hell yea dude thats gonna be effing sick :nice:

Nice build, can't wait to here a new exhaust vid of your car!

the second i put it all back together ill be posting the exhaust vid...cams should be here wednesday so hopefully by thursday i can start her up..i cant wait to hear it myself lol

Words of advice, do NOT get a moly k member, it will break and the weight savings is not worth the loss in strength... Go with a softer rear spring then tighten it with good dampers, adjustable rear sway and a watts link....panhard doesn't keep your rear axle nearly as rigid and with the softer springs you will be able to squt and rocket out of the corners much better than with a stiffer rear spring set up....

good advice man thanks! i need all the help i can get on the rear set up... i was planning on having pretty stiff springs all the way around but if a little softer in the rear will help then im all for that plan...

as for the k, its strictly gonna be a MM k

its gonna be a while before the whole suspension is worked out..thats why i decided to to a progress thread.. the next couple weeks were basically rearend and engine work...then as the weeks go buy ill be adding and adding and adding..

i need your opinions real quick..i know what the obvious choice is but what do you guys think?

i called around about getting my car tuned at every avail shop in central fl.. a guy i work with referred me to delta force tuning.. the guy that runs the shop is the guy that started SCT.. anyway, they use the sniper tuning software at delta force tuning..

hes gonna charge me $350 to tune the car...this includes loading the sniper program into my car, tuning it, and doing however many pulls it takes...even if it takes 100 pulls and 10 hours its still $350..

being that i already have an xcal 3 he said it cost extra for him to tune with that.. so should i keep my xcal3 and find another place or should i ditch the xcal and go with the sniper tune? i know nothing about sniper products but i kinda like having the xcal on hand if i need to change something...

what would you guys do/recommend? do i really even need a tune with cams?

so shold i keep my xcal 3 and tune the car and just have it loaded into it, or ditch it for the sniper tune... the only downfall i see with the sniper tune is the fact that i wont have any sniper software of my own

so shold i keep my xcal 3 and tune the car and just have it loaded into it, or ditch it for the sniper tune... the only downfall i see with the sniper tune is the fact that i wont have any sniper software of my own

If Pat is going to tune it for you for $350 , then you can rest assured it will be tuned right , just sell your Xcal 3 to pay for the tune , unless you change something major you will not need to change the tune and I am sure whatever it is , it will not be anything you will be able to change with the Xcal3 anyway ......