Nitrous Spark Plug Question

• Sponsors (?)

SliverStang said:
I know that AR94's are good nitrous plugs. but my local parts store didn't have any so they sold me some NGK T55's are they good nitrous plugs?

AR94's are Autolite two steps colder, 103's are one step colder
NGK tr55 are stock heat range, tr6 are one step colder, 3P7EFS are two steps colder
I wouldn't run TR55's with nitrous without at least pulling a couple of deg. timing.
At least one step colder plug.

ok guys, i have a question. when you say they are one or two steps colder than stock what does this mean? the spark is not as hot? why do want/need colder plugs? can some one please explain this to me?

edit: and if price isnt/wasnt an issue what would be the best spark plug to run?
what should they be gapped at? and how long do they last when you are running NOS?

Those NGK TR6s will be fine. They are a good plug, as long as your not running excessively rich they will last a while. I run them in my car gapped at .038. I have a dry kit that I haven't used yet, wanted the plugs in there for when the time comes.

Colder plug is just what it is, the gap is closer for nitrous because of the extra cylinder pressure while the N2O is present. Too hot of a plug and the side electrode can literally melt away. Two big a gap and the spark will get blown out.

As far as the best plug $$$ not an option I would have to say the NGK TR6 Irridium plugs for nitrous. Their basically a longer lasting version of the TR6. Hope this helped you!

The temperature rating of a spark plug speaks to how well the plug conducts heat away from the cylinder. You see, spark plugs do not just spark, they also act as a conduit for heat to escape from the cylinder. A colder plug conducts more heat, a hotter plug conducts less.

Mustang_chic_GT said:
I had nitrous on my old 98 mustang and i used ngk's and they lasted like 2 weeks and i had to replace them so i would say dont use them..
You had something wrong with your tune or gap.
NGKs are one of ther best plugs on thee market. Racers I know will only use NGK. Now we are not talking about street cars but we are talking about a whole lot more nitrous than anybody runs on the street. 500+hp on top of the motor hp.
The autolites or motorcraft are fine for most applications. I would just go at least one step colder. And use coppers.