Nitrous Update 2013 GT 5.0 Manual

MarineDeuce

Jul 16, 2018
St Johns
Have undertaken a nitrous install on my 2013 Mustang. My car is a GT 5.0, mt82 manual, 3.73 rear gears with 96,000 miles on the ODO. This car runs at high altitude pretty much always. With nitrous or supercharging, ALTITUDE FIXES MANY PROBLEMS. Keep this in mind as you read on. When you hear that nitrous is bad at altitude know that the Luftwaffe ran nitrous in some of their high altitude reconnaissance aircraft to boost their power by 30% and allow them to outrun those pesky allied fighters. My system is a ZEX unit with the throttle pedal position learn function which did not and still does not work. It is a wet system, install is straight forward but - an rpm window switch and Wide Open Throttle switch are MANDATORY if you like your car. If its your wifes and she knows nothing about this install, party on. My window switch is set to 3300 rpms on and 6500 rpms off. I also have "tunes for life" through American Muscle for my BAMA SCT X4 tuner and am running the 93 octane Race tune with a 3 degree timing retard full range and an additional 3 retard at full throttle. The system is set for 125 hp. At this altitude I suspect my car with the 93 R tune and no timing retard makes about 320 to 330 hp at rear wheels. So, 430 to 445 with a 125 hp shot or, at sea level, 530 or so. With the cars anti knock sensor on watch and the timing reductions in the tune and the ALTITUDE all working in my favor, the nitrous coming on in this car is like being pushed along by a Hellcat. No kidding. Just astonishing. Have only three 10 lb tanks through it so no longevity data. Run 0w20 Royal Purple in engine and Royal Purple Synchromax in transmission. 91 octane pump gas. Stock tires make quarter mile runs kind of silly but have run in the 12s here at 6000 feet with virtually no skills and 73 year old reflexes.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey John, hope the wheels are spinning now and then. Car is pretty impressive, with or without the nitrous, but just a wild thing with it. Stock hellcats up here dyno at 500 rwhp and weigh 4450. I am at about 450 rear wheel and weigh 3620 (local scale). Pounds per horsepower I have a slight edge. Enough they can't run away from me. Very surprising to them to see a box stock looking Stang running nose to nose at 100+. Great to here from you.

Sounds great, Deuce! Rolling with the Hellcat’s, at altitude- love it!!. Shelby remains under 20k on the Odo., things snowballed with the new K.B.,:::Itch::. hottest reliable Tune, most advance/wH20/Meth Dynoe’d@ 685Hp(7,300), 773Ft/Lbs (3,500) with A/C intercooling/Interior split, L&M C/G Cams, since I went to the 3.6l K.B, Modded a S.S.Snake exchanger & other salvageable goodies from a burned one, now 4.33’s. Machined in D.P. NOS, filled the Bottle & purged. Haven’t touched it yet..Grr..Iron Block.!Bias..
Emphasis on Suspension & Steeda X5 balljoint & bumpsteer to raise the roll center, Brakes, Baers Calipers/Rotors REALLY improved things & patience won in planting it without tearing it up. Predictability, hookup, Brakes, Scattershield & loop were given needs. Running on 20” Welds/Mickey’s S/Slicks & Pilot’s..
Comp bench Ported Heads (NOT my OE’s), L&M C/G cam’s, I don’t want to build that Car any further, already too much.Into the hottest Car’s in the area, always someone else, though-(NOS) you know how that goes! Springfield’s (10 miles) got some strong Cars, So..
VERY happy- found an identically-color schemed 08’ ShelbyGT500 @ auction, (another casualty from the Tx. floods). only 6.7k on it, was a total W/Damage loss- 10.2K$, minor sheet metal (fender/hood).it’s in Sealer, went through, replaced most electronics, entirely.
No more Iron Block bias-Have a 13’ Trinity 5.8l Block sleeved & stroked to a 6.2 (3.70 x 4.415), Byant Billet Crank, Carrillo Rods, JE Pistons. I’m at a Shortblock, Winter project, lol..I’m going identical appearance, here..
Folks won’t know whether it’s the 08’ #1, or #2, shooting for 1,000+ Solid HP with S#2, no NOS.. I like the idea! Really fits..
Have you thought about H20/Meth Injection for the Altitude? Researched in depth re: WW1 & 2 Piston engined Planes & Altitude ofsetts & gains, I’d expect your NOS is already improving that, indirectly, yet in that manner..
Great to hear from you!
John

You are a busy man and crazed by horsepower - my kinda guy!! Nice find on the watered GT500, wiring is usually the issue so all that is just nuisance work that has to be done. 5.8l sounds way impressive. Work to keep all the internals on the INSIDE. At 1000hp about 2000hp equivalent of heat is flowing through that puppster - big exhaust components to let that stuff out of there. Nice to be getting 685 on your water methanol. Did you say nitrous too? Those piston plane jockeys from WWII had that all worked out. Keep me up on your project. Thinking about hitting the Mustang rally in Sturgis in Aug Sept this year.