Nitrous Write-UP

98stallion

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2002
Just got my nitrous done last night and hit it for the first time with a 50 shot, and all I can say is, "WOW". If anyone out there is thinking of doing a power adder and can't afford a supercharger or a turbo, don't walk, run to your nearest nx dealer and get hooked up. I mean, only spraying at 800 psi (my bottle heater's not coming on, more on that later), with just a 50 shot, was absolutely crazy. It's like the whole frame of the car wants to lift up and fly away. I can't wait to check my plugs and put in the 100 shot. That's going to be rediculous.

And my setup is just awesome. The guy I got it used from had a couple of switches mounted to a piece of painted metal, and put in the slot where his cd player goes. Well I thought that was a little obtrusive, so I took them off of the metal and relocated them on the plastic piece that covers the shifter, where the cigarette lighter resides. I'll try to take some pics today.

One thing that I really wanted to touch on because it was a pain in the ass for me, if you're hooking up a window switch on a 96-98 (not sure if this is the same for 99+) To get a tach signal, you have to take off a plastic piece covering up the pcm, which is located on the passenger side, in the cabin, down and to the right where your feet would go. You also have to take off the plastic piece that runs along the bottom of where you would see when you first open the door because it overlaps the piece covering the pcm. Then when you get in there, you're looking for an orange wire with a white lead that you can trace back to pin # 48 on the pcm. That's the wire you splice into to give yourself a tach lead. But I can answer any questions you might have because I am now a huge supporter of nitrous.

btw, on that bottle heater, i am not sure why it's not coming on. i'm sure i must have something wired up wrong, or maybe the heater's bad. I'll take it out today and just hook it up to hot and see if it even heats at all. on the nx wiring diagram it shows a relay and a transducer. well i don't have a relay or a transducer, just a gauge that acts as a switch, so i just ran the hot wire from my bottle heater switch right to the gauge. well my tester shows the gauge isn't even sending a hot signal to the bottle heater, so i don't know. anyway, get nitrous it's awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

awsome what a differance that it makes isn't it, congrats on the new found power. i cant wait to shoot mine with my headswap and longtubes its already a beast, puting nitrous on top of that is going to be awsome. good luck with the heater!!!

james

mine is a compucar wet kit and i could completly install one in about an hour and make it look very perfessional, its very easy to install and all you need is basic hand tools, instructions, some wire loom, and zip ties. i say, (for the money), if you didnt want to spend ungodly amounts on bolt-ons and you want to go fast, NITROUS is the answer!!!

Yes nitrous can be fun but you also have to be careful using it. On the bottle heater, what brand is it? If it's NX then you can call them and they will be glad to help you out with it,meaning if u are missing some parts. See my sig for my results of nitrous

JonJon said:
Wet or dry? How hard to install? :)

Lucky bum :)

Jon
It's the nx wet kit, and installation is not hard at all. I think I ran into about every problem you could encounter and it probably took 7-10 hours to install. :) But like 96mustang_james said, after you do it once, I think I could do it in at the most 3 hours. And I'm counting in the time it took to change the spark plugs and the fuel filter and wire everything up too.

btw, hit the 100 shot tonight :) in fact, there's only one thing that can properly convey my emotion right now, a dancing banana :banana: It was rediculous!! Got the bottle heater up and running too, i just went ahead and bought a relay and wired it like the diagram said and it worked (not sure why it didn't w/o the relay but ah well) it was kind of weird though, even though i know i was flying waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy faster than i was on the 50 shot, I got the same mph as I did on my 50 shot run. Did it twice too. Maybe I'm limited by gearing since my test run is less than a quarter mile. (more than an 1/8th tho) But man, it got there quick.

98stallion said:
Just got my nitrous done last night and hit it for the first time with a 50 shot, and all I can say is, "WOW". If anyone out there is thinking of doing a power adder and can't afford a supercharger or a turbo, don't walk, run to your nearest nx dealer and get hooked up. I mean, only spraying at 800 psi (my bottle heater's not coming on, more on that later), with just a 50 shot, was absolutely crazy. It's like the whole frame of the car wants to lift up and fly away. I can't wait to check my plugs and put in the 100 shot. That's going to be rediculous.

And my setup is just awesome. The guy I got it used from had a couple of switches mounted to a piece of painted metal, and put in the slot where his cd player goes. Well I thought that was a little obtrusive, so I took them off of the metal and relocated them on the plastic piece that covers the shifter, where the cigarette lighter resides. I'll try to take some pics today.

One thing that I really wanted to touch on because it was a pain in the ass for me, if you're hooking up a window switch on a 96-98 (not sure if this is the same for 99+) To get a tach signal, you have to take off a plastic piece covering up the pcm, which is located on the passenger side, in the cabin, down and to the right where your feet would go. You also have to take off the plastic piece that runs along the bottom of where you would see when you first open the door because it overlaps the piece covering the pcm. Then when you get in there, you're looking for an orange wire with a white lead that you can trace back to pin # 48 on the pcm. That's the wire you splice into to give yourself a tach lead. But I can answer any questions you might have because I am now a huge supporter of nitrous.

btw, on that bottle heater, i am not sure why it's not coming on. i'm sure i must have something wired up wrong, or maybe the heater's bad. I'll take it out today and just hook it up to hot and see if it even heats at all. on the nx wiring diagram it shows a relay and a transducer. well i don't have a relay or a transducer, just a gauge that acts as a switch, so i just ran the hot wire from my bottle heater switch right to the gauge. well my tester shows the gauge isn't even sending a hot signal to the bottle heater, so i don't know. anyway, get nitrous it's awesome.

Congrats ...

Regarding your warmer - try putting it in the freezer for 10 minutes and then wiring it back up. It may not be cold enough out side (depending on where you live). I had the same problem when I installed mine.

Now you have to hook up a purge like this >>> lol

Purge-sm-sm.jpg

99redvert said:
What plugs did you end up using for the 100 shot?
I went with the ngk-tr6's part number 4117 gapped @ .035. They're a one step colder plug, and the car idles a little funny sometimes but all in all they have worked great so far!

Scott96Cobra : That is freaking awesome how you have your purge! I was going to do the same thing on my 98 but it was starting to be such a pain in the ass I gave up and routed it under the car. Kudos to you for doing it right :nice:

2000GTnoExtras said:
So the colder plugs with a smaller gap runs the same as the normal plugs and you run them all the time?

yes

i have the TR6's and i haven't even sprayed my kit yet. they have been in the car for 3 months and i can't tell a difference.

as far as the gap is concerned, N/A you want a .054 gap and on nitrous anywhere from .035-.045 depending on your shot. just gap them for nitrous and call it a day. mine are gapped at .040 because i have a small shot. :nice: