Nitrous

Egifford

Jul 18, 2015
hey guys
I'm new to nitrous and bought a wet kit for my 84 fox with a 78 302. Car makes around 260 hp to the ground has flat tops in it, ported 351 heads, msd distributor (with rev limiter) Weiand intake and soon to have a 650 quick fuel carb.and it also has a comp cam (not sure what it is was in it when I bought it). I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm just wondering how much nitrous will be to much for it to handle

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on the following

botom end- stock/
compression ratio
head gaskets
Head bolts
fuel system
timing
engine management system

And finally and most important, how good you are at tuning the car. I would start off with a 50 shot for you to get used to it. Go at least 1 step colder in plugs and back off the timing at least to stock or 1 degree less than 10 BTDC. You will have a wet system that injects NO2 and Fuel at the same time. You fuel pump and regulator need to be up to the task. A good FP gauge is recommended.

Couple of things
Never use it in 1st gear
Only use it at WOT
If if comes on with the Car off DO NOT START THE CAR.
Always purge the system before use- get a purge valve
Kits should have a WOT, You way want to get a window switch a bottle heater, a bottle gauge, and a vent tube
If you hear any pinging or popping take your foot off the gas

Just remember, you can run rich all day long but lean only once.

Reactions: 1 users
My other question is what type of intake-single open plenum or a dual plenum? You will want a single for better distribution to the runners. If/when you step up the jets to the 100-150 range drop 2 heat ranges on plugs. I'd pull 2-4* of timing at that point. Make sure you run premium gas. Also don't spray it if you're running regular radial tires on the street. If you bounce of the rev limiter while spraying there is a good chance you'll destroy Pistons.

Reactions: 1 user