Nitto dr's vs. bfg dr's for my daily driver

MustangLife

Jan 5, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
Help me pick my 2 new rear tires. There either gonna be the nitto drag radials or the bfg drag radials. I only put about 8,000 miles on my car a year.

longer tread life = nitto
better 60 foot times = bfg
safer in rain = nitto
bfg 265 size on 17x8 wheels
nitto 275 size on 17x8 wheels

So how do I pick what to get?

Josh

• Sponsors (?)

And what psi can i run these at to hook really well. I don't want to run a air pressure of 30 lbs and not hook any better than the stock goodyears and than have to lower them to 15 psi to get better traction.

So what psi for track? daily driving with some street fun?

Josh

MustangLife said:
And what psi can i run these at to hook really well. I don't want to run a air pressure of 30 lbs and not hook any better than the stock goodyears and than have to lower them to 15 psi to get better traction.

So what psi for track? daily driving with some street fun?

Josh

You can run them at 30 psi on the street and they will hook at least 10X better than the stock Goodyears although that isn't saying much since a bicycle tire would hook better than those POS Eagles. The DR's are super soft and sticky. They stick to the ground and also they stick to anything and everything that isn't embedded in the Asphalt. Rocks, dirt, debris will all be flying up in your wheel wells. But I run Nitto DR's for my almost daily driver. I won't go back to regular radials. I run 32 psi for street and ran 20 psi at the track but I am going to try 14 psi +- next time.

MustangLife said:
Help me pick my 2 new rear tires. There either gonna be the nitto drag radials or the bfg drag radials. I only put about 8,000 miles on my car a year.

safer in rain = nitto

Josh

Nitto's are cheaper and last almost twice as long from what I understand. I have Nitto's now and am going to try BFG's next time just to see what I prefer.

I'm cutting 1.9 to 2.0 60 foot times right now with the stock goodyears and 4.10's. bfg's website has no list of drag radials smaller than 275. So I'm gonna get the nittos 275's since there a little smaller.

Can I get 1.7-1.8 60 foot times with these tires with no other suspension mods. Or is it just gonna be a little better traction but nothing spectacular.

Josh

MustangLife said:
I'm cutting 1.9 to 2.0 60 foot times right now with the stock goodyears and 4.10's. bfg's website has no list of drag radials smaller than 275. So I'm gonna get the nittos 275's since there a little smaller.

Can I get 1.7-1.8 60 foot times with these tires with no other suspension mods. Or is it just gonna be a little better traction but nothing spectacular.

Josh

Yep, that is the range you should get with them. You might even do a bit better if you are getting as low as 1.9's stock.

I would suggest the Nitto's as well. Last longer, better "street" tire IMHO, and you will still be able to pull those 1.7-1.8 60's you want :D

BTW, if you don't drive it all the time, and you want the best street/strip pressure, I'd suggest something between 23-27 psi ;)

-Will

MustangLife said:

Josh

Nitto doesn't even recommend putting the 275 on anything narrower than a 9" rim. :nonono: The section width is measured on a 9.5" rim which means that you will not get the optimum contact patch on an 8" rim. You will get a better contact patch with a 245 on an 8" rim than a 275 on the same rim. The tire will be pinched and bow in the middle on a narrower rim.

(Taken from Nitto's website)

http://www.nittotire.com/popup_555r_sizes.asp

I'd leave the rim/tire matching up to the manufacturer of the tires.

I have ~ 12k on my Nitto's and they still have some tread life left. I would say run BFG's if you go to the track alot and dont do much street driving, but they are even softer than the Nitto's and have alot shorter life span, but they do hook up better. If you're on stock wheels go with the 245/45/17's. Going wider may sound better, but you lose alot of "give" from the sidewalls when you lower profile, plus like a previous poster said the inner tread will cup if the full contact patch is not on the ground.

Good advice here and let me just throw my .02 in about the BFGs in the rain. I just drove 360 miles back to T&J sunday on my 315 BFG Drs in the rain and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Now, if you drive like an idiot then obviously either tire will give you problems when it's wet as will any tire. I too was worried about the BFGs in the rain and was pleasantly surprised to find that they never once caused my car to get loose.

As stated above, if you go to the track a lot then hands down get the bfgs. Otherwise the nittos will work fine for you. Both are good tires.

This is an old post probaly 3 months or so. But I got the nitto dr's. The suck when its cold out. Are great when they are heated, even with cold payment. And good enough to grenade my differential and break one of my axles on my 12 pass on them, brand new.

Josh

MustangLife said:

safer in rain = nitto

Josh

Ever think of getting 10.5 with 315 Nittos---badass looking. :shrug:

I just put Nitto 315/35-17s on 17x10.5 rims on my Cobra.

http://www.modularmustangs.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1376

They hook much better than the 275/40-17 goodyears on 17x9 rims, and this is at 34psi. I have put over 800 miles on the nittos on the street, and they are holding up well. My car is daily driven and sees 3,000+ miles a month, so they won't last but a few months. It will be hard to go back to a street tire when these wear out. I can now go WOT on the street in 2nd gear without spinning most of the time. :hail2:

I need treadwear, so I got the nittos. I will most likely invest in some BFG 275/40-17s for my 17x9 rims once I put street tires on the 17x10.5s for daily street use.

-Jason

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did my first 270* in a crowded intersection the other night. IT was 20* outside, and the Nittos weren't too sticky making a left turn. Be careful on drag radials in the cold, especially when you are half asleep. :doh:

behind_after_315_nittos3.jpg