Engine No compression

Andresquintana.mma

Nov 28, 2014
Hey everyone I bought a roller a couple years ago and my mom had a rebuilt engine in her fox didnt drive it much. The engine is a 302 bored to a 306, tfs aluminum heads, B cam, Holley systemax intake, t5 tranny. She parked it one day and it just sat there. Recently her house insurance made her get rid of it, I couldn't get it ruining in the time I had so I pulled the engine and took it home. I slowly replaced all the gaskets and painted the block etc. I few months ago I tried to start the car and it turned on but wasnt ruining right. Pulled the heads and the valves were leaking pretty bad. Took them to a local shop and had the heads rebuilt. put everything back together and wont even try to turn on. I checked compression and had 0 lbs on both sides. I pulled everything off today and the spark plugs and valves on the heads look brand new. Like I didnt even crank the car. What would cause no compression? IM getting spark and fuel pressure. I have mostly everything off right now besides driver side head and timing cover.

• Sponsors (?)

First thing that comes to me would be valve adjustment incorrect, valves adjusted to tight can hold the vales open - 0 compression
Are you talking about when you rotate the crank and adjust each rocker? If so I’m pretty sure I adjusted them correctly. I just wait until the opposite rocker is about to go down and then finger tighten it but you can still spin the push rod by finger then lock it with a quarter of a turn.

Or are you referring to the heads being rebuilt?

Are you talking about when you rotate the crank and adjust each rocker? If so I’m pretty sure I adjusted them correctly. I just wait until the opposite rocker is about to go down and then finger tighten it but you can still spin the push rod by finger then lock it with a quarter of a turn.

Or are you referring to the heads being rebuilt?
This should cover the adjustment procedure on both types of rockers

I’ve done roller rockers before and I’ll re watch this video. A couple questions before I get started today on the car.
Would there be no compression if my timing chain isn’t alright correctly?
Is there a way to test compression with out putting the engine all the way back together? Can I throw the head on and adjust the rockers and test like that? With out putting all the accessories and manifold on?
Thanks in advance.

Bolt the fully assembled head (read valves installed with springs, retainers, and keepers) up with no rockers and test. Valves should be 100% closed being there is no way to open them.

Reactions: 1 user