Engine No fuel/stock fuel pump question

3dgraham111

Oct 9, 2021
Texas
I replaced the stock fuel pump with one of the same. Since I have bad gas in the tank, I have a fuel line running from the pump to a gas canister with a see-through filter attached. I can see no fuel in the filter when I crank the engine. The engine starts with starting fluid.

When the fuel pump lever is inserted into the engine, is it possible to miss the crankshaft? The two bolts went in as they should.
Thanks for your response.

• Sponsors (?)

No, but it IS possible that there isn't an eccentric installed, depending on what engine you have. If it's the stock engine and hasn't been torn into, I'd suspect it's there, but if it's a replacement or has been rebuilt or whatever, there's a chance that the eccentric wasn't installed. This pic I stole from a Google image search illustrates what I'm talking about if you're unaware.

fuelpump-eccentric.jpg

If it's there, then it's most likely a different problem upstream of the pump. The pump is gravity fed, so it could be most anything from a clogged line to a bad pickup in the tank.

Reactions: 1 user
It is difficult but possible to get the lever installed on the wrong side of the eccentric
Done it
Point the lever down
Way down then push the pump in and start the bolts
It is easier if the eccentric is facing away
You probably did not bend the pump lever but check it against the old pump to be sure
I have seen it push the fulcrum pin out of the pump housing and ruin the pump