Electrical No Headlights(low/high Beams), Need Help!!

bgerads1984

Nov 26, 2013
I just replaced my heater core in my 1996 GT and now i have no low or high beams. All other lights work and i have power to the headlight switch and the multifunction switch. But there is now power at the plugs to the headlights and when I hit the switch for the highs there is also no indicator in the gauge cluster. All fuses looked good also. I don't know where to go from here...HELP PLEASE

• Sponsors (?)

First, are you aware there is an automatic reset circuit breaker inside the head light switch? To rule out the head light switch, confirm there is +12 volts at the Head light R/Y wire with the switch on.

Double check I/P fuse 16. If I/P#16 is good and the high beam dash indicator does not work, then either:
  • bad multi-function switch
  • Blown fuse in engine bay.
  • bad G204 cluster ground
  • loose/missing connector C288, C212, C105, or C240.
Since the dash has been removed/re-installed, this opens up the possibility of a missed or loose connector.

A full set of wiring diagram and service manual would be useful in trouble shooting as this may be more complex than the typical "failed part" repair. If interested in getting a copy for yourself I may be able to help. PM if interested.

Thank you very much for you reply wmburns! It was very helpful. I ended up just walking through the process of replacing the heater again. As I was unplugging the connectors at the kick panel on the drivers side I found the little round connector hiding behind the big block one with the bolt in it. I forgot to plug that one in. Man do I feel like an idiot... but problem is now fixed. Thanks again!!!