• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

No power

  • Thread starter Thread starter silver87
  • Start date Start date Jul 17, 2004
S

silver87

New Member
Jul 4, 2004
115
0
0
Northern California
Jul 17, 2004
#1
  • Jul 17, 2004
  • #1
I just bought a 87 gt a couple weeks ago and finally started racing it. In first gear when I hit about 4,000 rpm the engine revs high but it feels like there is no power. This happens when I just take off from a stop without launching. around 3,000 it pulls hard with full throttle but when I hit 4,000 rpm, it seems as if the wheels might be breaking loose. It seems to do it for all gears if I am into it all the way. Please let me know if there is a problem I dont know about.
Thanks

P.S. What's the best shift point for the car? The redline is at 6k, but it feels like it dies at about 5.5k.
 
Q

Quick5pnt0

Founding Member
Aug 21, 1999
1,208
0
36
north eastern PA
Jul 17, 2004
#2
  • Jul 17, 2004
  • #2
Have you check anything out on the car yet? How many miles are on it? If it has some miles on it and was never tuned up thats where i'd start. A clogged/old fuel filter will definately give you that problem.
 
S

silver87

New Member
Jul 4, 2004
115
0
0
Northern California
Jul 17, 2004
#3
  • Jul 17, 2004
  • #3
I've had all the fluids flushed, I just haven't had time to get a complete tune up. Hopefully that's the problem, but it still should be pulling harder then it is.
 

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
1,803
1
0
raleigh, nc
Jul 17, 2004
#4
  • Jul 17, 2004
  • #4
is it a 5 spd? could be the clutch slipping at high rpms. drive down the road at like 25mph and put it in 4th gear and ease into the gas and see if the rpms go up but the car doesnt go any faster.....but yeah, get a new fuel filter because it could be starving for fuel
 
S

silver87

New Member
Jul 4, 2004
115
0
0
Northern California
Jul 17, 2004
#5
  • Jul 17, 2004
  • #5
It's not the fuel filter, they replaced that when I got the fluids flushed.

I'm thinking it needs a good tune, looking to buy a new distributor and wires tonight. I'll try that clutch thing later...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
210
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
514
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
J
Engine LOSS OF POWER AT 4,000 RPM.
  • Jarhead67
  • Nov 17, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
38
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 25, 2025
Jarhead67
J
Drivetrain How much resistance, if any at all, is normal on a new 1st gear and synchro on a WC T5 transmission?
  • sleep-e
  • Jan 21, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
308
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 22, 2026
sleep-e
Engine Surging idle on start-up
  • keel
  • Aug 11, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
keel
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?