No reverse on my T5 manual tranny

Kosman

Oct 1, 2019
Vancouver
Hi all.
I am having reverse problems with my T5 manual transmission on my 2000 Mustang. It has 3.8 V6 on it. It does not go on reverse or 5th gear. Took it out reinstalled the reverse/5th gear fork. Bench tested it worked fine. Installed on the car and now it won’t shift into reverse or 5th gear.
Any ideas are highly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

5th and Reverse both operate off the same shift rail. When you shift the trans, the top rail manually moves a lever on the driver's side of the trans that moves another rail lower in the case that activates 5th and Reverse. Often times, guys mistakenly remove the bolt holding the lever thinking it's a drain plug, and the lever falls off. Only way to fix is to open the trans. Lube shops have sometimes made this mistake.

Outside of that, whatever the cause is, the fix involves opening up the T5. No real diagnostic can be made until that is done

Thanks for the Reply. I don't know anything about transmissions when it comes to them...buuut I've been learning on my own by Practicing on them at the Junk Yards lol. It's like my very own hands on school training. I finally finished fixing 1 of my other cars (A Chrysler) WoW Chrysler's are a bunch of P.O.S. Cars. Never again. Anyways I finally have time to screw around with a Mustang's transmission from the Junk Yards tomorrow before i commit to finally taking mine apart Is the Shift Rail Lever thingy easy to take off and put back on?