no spark frm coil but power to coil

hulk_lil87gt

Aug 24, 2009
hey i did the cobra upper and lower i took the dis. out too clean it up. so n e ways i set everything right motor top dead dis. to number 1. had perfect spark finally after and hour of messing with things we got the car started and only stayed started for abut 20 seconds. then i went to go start it again and nothing the battery some how died a brand new red top. i changed the batterys out and went to go start again and nothing. so i checked the spark again and got nothing. so i went and got a new coil and still no spark.. i checked the fusable links (tugged on them to see f they moved and they where fine). i am at a lost and dont know where to go now and i need to get te car u and running tomorrow other wise i am F***ed please HELP

• Sponsors (?)

Put a test light on the coil power wire (not the spark end) and it should flash when cranking. If it does not then it is not getting signal which means either a dist. pickup or the module is bad.

Yes, the coil has to ground to give off spark. I do not have my car around so I can not tell you exactly but you need to be getting some signal to the coil for it to spark.

thanks 90mustang. this problem was a pain but somthing told me to check the power to the modual so i did and it was getting power so i called a buddie and asked him if he had an extra dis. that i could get off of him being as he sold his 302. come home pop it in start and the car fires right up. i do how ever think that the timing is way off i cant rev the car after i do it shuts down. so i turned it off took the spout out and went to go start and once again nothing.. if you can give me a hand in this also i would be great full i am going to make another post for this so if u just wanna post here its fine. thanks again bud

thanks 90mustang. this problem was a pain but somthing told me to check the power to the modual so i did and it was getting power so i called a buddie and asked him if he had an extra dis. that i could get off of him being as he sold his 302. come home pop it in start and the car fires right up. i do how ever think that the timing is way off i cant rev the car after i do it shuts down. so i turned it off took the spout out and went to go start and once again nothing.. if you can give me a hand in this also i would be great full i am going to make another post for this so if u just wanna post here its fine. thanks again bud

That's why you should always have a timing light handy before removing the distributor.