No spark from coil

MyCARneedsHelp

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Plainfield,IL
heya, i just replaced my waterpump and i crushed a positive wire to my coil. Didnt realize it but tryed to start it. My buddy said some smoke came from the back and i checked all the wires and they are fine. Replaced the ignition wire. Replaced the coil with a Accell (Accel?) and im not getting any spark. I know i fudged up bad. Is there anything i can do to get spark or anything to check. PLLLEEEAAASSEEE help me out guys :(

• Sponsors (?)

Computer controlled cars, everything is connected. First of all check fuses, then if that's all good check to see if the coil is getting power to the positive end. Maby you fried something else. Maby take the module in someplace to have it checked.

if i recall correctly, the coil has a fusible link. if you "let the smoke out" as Michael Yount says, you might have taken the link with it. i would check that.

on the coil: the wire closest to the pass side (red with a stripe, IIRC) should show 12 volts key-on.

have you grounded the secondary coil wire (or a plug wire) to see if it sparks when you crank the motor?

good luck.

MyCARneedsHelp said:
I checked all fuses. And i dont think the coil is gettin power. Any way to run a new wire, or do u know were it goes :shrug: u cant just run it to the pos. battery :shrug: . Im not good with electric stuff sorry if i said sumtin dumb

You might burn out the coil if it has power all the time. It may interfear with something else jerry-rigging it. Just not a good idea, either try to trace the wire and see if something else got fried or take it to a shop.

Yes i tryed and im getting no spark. I looked for the fusible link and dunno where its located. If that has gone do i need to re-run that whole entire wire? Or is there a way to get around that. Anything else i could check? is there any other fuses beyond the fuse box or behind the dash? :shrug:

--Well i wasnt going to keep a constant power. Just with a switch on the inside when needed. Ya or Nay? Thanx for helpin me out

the fusible link should be off the starter solenoid. here is one of Tom's schematics. the coil is in the top of the diagram.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

here is another:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

i agree all the way with Jason, dont hot wire it. also, im not smart enough to know what you can rewire (i would have to play with it myself - im not comfortable saying yes or no). JR, Tom et al will know for sure what you can and cant do.
good luck.

You can get a replacement fusible link and be sure to solder it in and use shrink wrap - much better than a crimp connection. You can use the same method to repair a crimp like cut in a wire too - no need to replace the whoile wire.

Look at the first link. There is a yellow wire that has an 18guage link that feeds the ingnition switch. The ignition switch then sends power out to the coil through a 20 guage link, but it also sends power to fuse #18. Check fuse 18 for 12v power with the switch on. If it has power, then you did not blow the 18 guage yellow wire link and probably blew the 20guage link feeding the ignition coil and stuff. Find it, check it and replace it.

You have no sig and no info on what year car you have. The wiring changes from year to year and that makes it harder to diagnose your problems.

Do not add any hot wires to the wiring. LOOk at the diagrams Hissin50 posted if you have an 88-90 model car. If your car is some other year, see http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/71/3c/0900823d8016713c.jsp and choose your model car.

For an 86 Mustang, see http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80167158.gif

The ignition coil feed has a blue fuse link -fuse links look like ordinary wire, but are fuses in disguse. The fuse links all live in the wiring harness up near the starter relay. They are in the section of wiring harness that connects to the starter relay post that conects to the battery. You get to carefully split the wiring harness open and look for a short lenght of blue wire that connects to a red/lt green wire on each end.

Look for 12 volts on each side of the blue fuse link. If you have 12 volts on one side but not the other, the fuse link is blown open. Fuse links are available from the auto parts store. In the event you cannot find the proper 20 gauge fuse link, you can splice an inline fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse.

im gonna be a little :OT: but it is relevant and Joe already hit upon it a bit......

can one substitute a circuit breaker in lieu of a fusible link? is this a good idea? we all know that a link should not be burning in the first place, but i hate fusible links and had wondered if that was a bad idea if a link is needed....

HISSIN50 said:
im gonna be a little :OT: but it is relevant and Joe already hit upon it a bit......

can one substitute a circuit breaker in lieu of a fusible link? is this a good idea? we all know that a link should not be burning in the first place, but i hate fusible links and had wondered if that was a bad idea if a link is needed....

I personally would love to have an under hood panel with a covered box for circuit breakers or fuses in place of all the fuse links. The later model cars have it set up this way. I have an add-in panel for mine for the fog light relay circuit & power for the fog lights and for the electric fan (future addition). I have seen some much nicer looking ones (mine's home made) and am considering doing some more work in this area.

jrichker said:
I personally would love to have an under hood panel with a covered box for circuit breakers or fuses in place of all the fuse links. The later model cars have it set up this way. I have an add-in panel for mine for the fog light relay circuit & power for the fog lights and for the electric fan (future addition). I have seen some much nicer looking ones (mine's home made) and am considering doing some more work in this area.
Joe, thanks so much for the response. :nice:
i've never really understood fusible links (i.e. why they are used - maybe a cost thing?). so i was not sure if i could mod away. im with you - i like a nice panel (having done the same thing when rewiring old motorcycles). i might try your idea - i need to do some clean up for the relays on my lows, highs and fogs anyhow. thank you for letting me know it is OK to do! :)