no start. fuel pump?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
turns over no problem but will not fire for anything. i assume the fuel pump may be the culprit. when i hit the key, i hear no pump noise. thumped on the tank a few times with a mallet but didnt help. is there by chance a relay or fuse that MIGHT be the problem rather than the pump? if so, where is it? secondly, if it is the pump, is there a access panel under the seat or does the tank have to come out? im afraid the tank will have to be dropped.

thanks.

2000 GT, btw.

• Sponsors (?)

fiveoho...the tank has to drop to access the pump. Try the fuse in the fuse block on the drivers side under the hood. There is a yellow mini amp...it is the fuse for the fuel pump. The service manual will tell you which one it is. If you do not have a service manual then just pull the yellow mini fuses to see if any are shorted out. If not then you have other issues. Hopefully it's just the fuse.

The gold standard for testing the fuel pump on the 96-04 MY Mustang is to test for +12 volts at the trunk mounted IFS switch with the key on. If there is NO voltage out of the IFS switch, the problem is a blown fuse, bad CCRM, or ignition switch.

If there is voltage out of the IFS switch, the problem is in the fuel pump or FPDM (99-04 only).

For the 96-04 MY, PATS does NOT disable the fuel pump. Fuel is disabled by not firing the injectors. The fuel pump should always run for a few seconds every time the key is cycled. If not, STOP and find out why.

i checked the inertia switch in the trunk. the red button ( i presume its a button ) is depressed. doesn't seem to depress any further or release. maybe its in the correct position as is?

i looked at the fuse block under the hood. i have no user manual so i pulled each mini yellow 20a fuse and inspected them after disconnecting the battery. none appeared broken or discolored. i did not have any replacements. i swapped around the 20a fuses . one did not appear to be seated well tho. reconnected the battery , hit the key and the fuel pump buzzed for just a split second, much shorter than the usual buzz. car fired right up. ran for about 15 min. cut the car off and hit the key again. no pump noise at all. car started fine.

if there is no pump noise, that doesnt necessarily mean the pump is bad, just that the fuel pressure is already there?

Why not test for voltage at the IFS switch as suggested? The fuse could be good but the CCRM is bad. Without knowing for certain if there is or isn't voltage, it's pure guess work.

A simple 12 volt tester is all that is needed to confirm voltage. Walmart sells for less than $10. This is the tech section. A voltage tester should be a tool in your tool box.

OBTW, as stated in the post, the fuel pump should prime EVERY time the key is cycled. If not, there is a problem. If the pump is quiet, you may have to get close to the tank to hear it.

99-04 fuse panel layout.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

Fuel pump should come on for around 5 sec if not you should have a fuel relay but like en urns said a voltmeter is the best don't let it intimidate . Hey wmburns I have the 99 cobra convert lean bank 2 found the vacuum hose the one on the throttle body . No more lean bank 2

Fuel pump should come on for around 5 sec if not you should have a fuel relay but like en urns said a voltmeter is the best don't let it intimidate . Hey wmburns I have the 99 cobra convert lean bank 2 found the vacuum hose the one on the throttle body . No more lean bank 2

thank you for the info.

Here'a an example of a $5 voltage tester.
GB Electrical GB Electrical GAT-3400 Low Voltage Tester
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

A zero cost tester could be made with a old running light and scrap wire.

I guess you can't help everyone. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Good luck with your problem.

i've recently bought a house and slowly collecting a tool collection. obviously, i do not have everything i need. a voltage tester is on my list but i havent had the opportunity to get one ( have not even been to town ). have some tact about how you word your posts. if you can be a smartass, so can i. think about the comment i made - would i have said that for no reason? no. i'm well aware of what section this is.

ugh.... i cant do it.

i retract what i said. i cant be like that. it still doesnt change how i feel about sharply directed posts. i see several posts made on this forum with ZERO account for politeness. it bothers me. tact and just being plain nice goes a long way.

my apologies for what i said.