No start with spout unplugged

Dennisfob

Dec 2, 2015
Hello, I just installed HCI on 94 Cobra. Went to check timing and now I dont have spark with spout unplugged. Will start and run with spout plugged in. Everything electronic replaced and was rechecked with old working parts- coil, dist, TFI. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar issue when I installed my 347.

1. Start it with the spout in
2. Rev it to 2500-3000, whatever it takes to keep it running.
3. Pull spout out and set timing, while keeping the engine running with your foot on the throttle.

You really need two people to do it this way. You should be good after that. Lmk if it works.

There is power to the coil but TFI doesn't ground it or Switch it with the spout unplugged ( no spark) . Initially I thought it wasn't getting 12 volts the run circuit of the TFI. But run and start appear to be on the same circuit with the coil.

the tfi ignition system is independent of the ecu. With the spout unplugged or even the ecu removed the ignition system will still function correctly.

if it doesnt then you have an ignition issue between the tfi module, pick up in the distributor and its associated wiring to the coil.

All your grounds are on?

You need to double check your marks.. the spout only allows the ECU to to control timing.. if it runs spout IN.. then the computer is compensating and making it run... once you pull it,... if you're at like.. 30* advance or whatever, that's what it's gonna try to run at.. and yeah.. it'll die....

Sounds like you're off quite a bit..

Or you have a bad ground in the computer. Do you have a spare or someone elses car you can swap with real quick and see if it runs any better?

All your grounds are on?

You need to double check your marks.. the spout only allows the ECU to to control timing.. if it runs spout IN.. then the computer is compensating and making it run... once you pull it,... if you're at like.. 30* advance or whatever, that's what it's gonna try to run at.. and yeah.. it'll die....

Sounds like you're off quite a bit..

Or you have a bad ground in the computer. Do you have a spare or someone elses car you can swap with real quick and see if it runs any better?
Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback. i believe the computer is shot and looking into getting another. I cleaned all grounds with no improvement.