Noise Coming From Transmission

sn95jones

Sep 19, 2011
Dallas, TX
It's in the shop right now for several repairs after a sheared lower ball joint caused my driver wheel to fall off. I am also having the transmission repaired as well. The transmission is a T-3650 and I just recently had the throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate, and input shaft replaced. Now about 2000 miles later, I am getting a similar sound to what I heard before. When the clutch it out and I'm at a stand still I hear a tapping sound coming from the transmission, once I put the clutch in the sound goes away. Also under hard acceleration that tapping sound comes back almost as a rattle. I told the shop I have no idea what it is but to just fix it along with the rest that is being fixed (struts, shocks, ball joints, bushing and lower a/c line).
What is causing the sound in my transmission and what should I expect to pay? I'm already looking at $890 for the other repairs.

• Sponsors (?)

It's in the shop right now for several repairs after a sheared lower ball joint caused my driver wheel to fall off. I am also having the transmission repaired as well. The transmission is a T-3650 and I just recently had the throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate, and input shaft replaced. Now about 2000 miles later, I am getting a similar sound to what I heard before. When the clutch it out and I'm at a stand still I hear a tapping sound coming from the transmission, once I put the clutch in the sound goes away. Also under hard acceleration that tapping sound comes back almost as a rattle. I told the shop I have no idea what it is but to just fix it along with the rest that is being fixed (struts, shocks, ball joints, bushing and lower a/c line).
What is causing the sound in my transmission and what should I expect to pay? I'm already looking at $890 for the other repairs.

Input shaft Bearing, and probaly amongst other things, just a matter of time before the the cars transmission takes a dump. My car did the same. But what you need is someone to tear apart the transission to see what other damage there is.

mine does the same thing. it has ever since i missed a shift 3 or 4 years ago. when it first happened, everytime the trans would 'click' the shifter would bounce to the right slightly while in neutral. fortunately that stopped, but it still sounds like hell when its sitting in neutral, and i get the rattle under hard accelleration. im just waiting for it to fail. when it does im probably going to do the t-56 swap.

mine does the same thing. it has ever since i missed a shift 3 or 4 years ago. when it first happened, everytime the trans would 'click' the shifter would bounce to the right slightly while in neutral. fortunately that stopped, but it still sounds like hell when its sitting in neutral, and i get the rattle under hard accelleration. im just waiting for it to fail. when it does im probably going to do the t-56 swap.

The cars engine is pretty much servicable when something goes wrong because most of the componets are reachable without having to take the entire engine out.

But, the cars transmission is the exact opposite and seems to be the weakest link in most automobiles today, I'm not understanding why manufacturer's don't go ahead and spend some extra time, cash, and technology to build a better car's transissions.

So much goes into desighning a faster more productive car engine that the transmission is last in line and or left out of the picture until it becomes a threat to there profit.

The T-45 should have changed soon as '99 came around.

Heck I'm hearing New Edge Mustangs having transmission and rear diff. problems right off the car lotts.:nonono:

Don't know whether to blame Uncle Sam for stressing so much on emissions or the car companies for trying to make the cheapest currency income.

Well I am kinda relived to hear this. Knowing that it wont go out anytime soon