Noise coming from under the car...

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
So today I got off work and came home. nothing was wrong with my car at all.

Fast forward about 6-7 hours. I leave to go to a buddies house. I get out of my driveway and once I get some speed I hear this noise coming from under my car. its like a combination of a REALLY bad exhaust leak, and a wire tie wrapped around my drive shaft. (There isnt anything on the DS lol)

I turn around and come back home. Jack the rear end up and start looking around. The bolts in my drive shaft are loose. They have came loose a few times since I did my gears. When I check them I never have any lok tite and then once I tighten them I just forget about redoing it with loktite, so yea.

Anyway, someone has obviously been using my tools because the socket for that size is missing. :mad:

So I just took my moms car for now.

Ok, so what do you think it is and what should I check? And also what size are the driveshaft bolts on the differential end of the DS? I dont want to have to play the guessing game when I go get another one.
Thanks

EDIT: I sounds like its not coming from the engine or tranny. It seems like its coming from around the mufflers/ end of the DS. It does not make the noise if I just rev it up, and I didnt hear it make the noise when I put it in neutral and just coasted.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, Ill check that too.

i just dont understand how it would start doing that out of teh blue. I got back from work. My car sat, then i left and it was making noise. :shrug:

Bill is right-on. If your companion flange to DS bolts were loose enough, you would have had a lot of run-out occurring. This very well could have been the noise.

The DS bolts very often come loose without threadlock (that's why when you buy new ones, they have threadlock on 'em from the dealership).

Good luck.

It blows my mind that NONE of the parts stores around here have 12 point sockets. :nonono:

I ended up forking over $15 for a ratchet wrench. I have been meaning to get a good set, so maybe this will act as an incentive.

Ok I tightened everything up. It still does it. The u-joints seem to be good. I saw one mark around the DS that looked like something had rubbed. But it did not look fresh at all.

So what should I look into next? I had it on the stands and started it and got the wheels turning in 1st and 3rd. I couldnt get the noise to happen again.
Any help is appreciated.

If you still have the stock h pipe on then look and make sure the heatshields on the converters didn't come loose. One came loose on my car and it sounded like the whole car was falling apart!!! I welded the heat shield back on and it made no more noise. Then I scrapped it and put the O/R X pipe on :D

We inpacted the piss outta that thing. Plus doesnt the nut come with thread locker on it?

Regardless of that, Im going to a guys house soon and we are going to pull the DS and see what we find.

Ok, Ive pretty much narrowed it down to a miss fire. I guess because I have dumps I could hear it coming out my the rear end. But Ill be changing the plugs tomorrow.

because I have dumps I could hear it coming out my the rear end.

Dude, keep your personal problems to yourself. :D

If you do ever suspect that the DS is rubbing, I hit the DS with a real light coat of paint. I go for a test drive and look for anyplace that the paint is worn off.

Ok, Ive pretty much narrowed it down to a miss fire. I guess because I have dumps I could hear it coming out my the rear end. But Ill be changing the plugs tomorrow.

Dude, keep your personal problems to yourself. :D

If you do ever suspect that the DS is rubbing, I hit the DS with a real light coat of paint. I go for a test drive and look for anyplace that the paint is worn off.

NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!SOUNDS PAINFUL....LOL..a missfire you can hear coming out your rear end because you have dumps..dont want to know how you narrowed that down...