Fuel Noise from the rear after shutting off car

Redfire Fox

Dec 29, 2011
After driving my 1991 fox around town and parking it I shut the car off. I then hear this whiny moan coming from the rear. Is this the fuel pump making the noise? What else could it be?
Also if I let my car sit for two days or more it takes a about 6-7 seconds of cranking before it starts. If I let my car sit for a day or less it takes about 2-3 seconds before it starts. Is my fuel pump going bad? Its a ford 190 lph. It has about 30k miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel pressure is 38-39psi with vacuum off with car running.
Not sure about the canister being functional but it is connected
Yes I hear it the pump prime before I start it and its quiet when car is running

Ok, here is what I would do: with the car running, go back to the fuel filler and take the cap off, turn the car off to see if the moan happens. If it does not moan that may indicate it is not venting properly.

Well the next thing I would do is, with the engine running, and the gas cap on, find and disconnect the vacuum line the runs from the fuel tank to the purge canister and turn off the engine, listen for the wheezing

Well fixed my rear moaning noise during ignition on engine off I been getting. Also no more long cranking issues when cold and engine stalls during hot starts and no more fuel pressure going to zero after shutting the car off. Yup you guessed it, I changed my fuel pressure regulator diaphragm in the Kirban. I also noticed my car runs much smoother when I accelerate.

To fix a whiny moan in the back, I would have checked on who was tied up in the trunk, or who I forgot in the back seat .:doh:
You guys are smart to have nailed it with the first response.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user