• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Fuel Noise from the rear after shutting off car

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redfire Fox
  • Start date Start date Jun 19, 2020

Redfire Fox

Active Member
Dec 29, 2011
56
26
39
Jun 19, 2020
#1
  • Jun 19, 2020
  • #1
After driving my 1991 fox around town and parking it I shut the car off. I then hear this whiny moan coming from the rear. Is this the fuel pump making the noise? What else could it be?
Also if I let my car sit for two days or more it takes a about 6-7 seconds of cranking before it starts. If I let my car sit for a day or less it takes about 2-3 seconds before it starts. Is my fuel pump going bad? Its a ford 190 lph. It has about 30k miles on it.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,049
10,674
213
polk county florida
Jun 19, 2020
#2
  • Jun 19, 2020
  • #2
Well let me ask:
have you checked fuel pressure?
is the purge canister connected and functional?
can you hear the fuel pump prime?
 

Redfire Fox

Active Member
Dec 29, 2011
56
26
39
Jun 19, 2020
#3
  • Jun 19, 2020
  • #3
Fuel pressure is 38-39psi with vacuum off with car running.
Not sure about the canister being functional but it is connected
Yes I hear it the pump prime before I start it and its quiet when car is running
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,049
10,674
213
polk county florida
Jun 19, 2020
#4
  • Jun 19, 2020
  • #4
Ok, here is what I would do: with the car running, go back to the fuel filler and take the cap off, turn the car off to see if the moan happens. If it does not moan that may indicate it is not venting properly.
 

Redfire Fox

Active Member
Dec 29, 2011
56
26
39
Jun 20, 2020
#5
  • Jun 20, 2020
  • #5
It stopped making the noise after doing what you told me. So how do I fix this? Replace the purge valve? The one I got on now is 30 years old.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,049
10,674
213
polk county florida
Jun 20, 2020
#6
  • Jun 20, 2020
  • #6
Well the next thing I would do is, with the engine running, and the gas cap on, find and disconnect the vacuum line the runs from the fuel tank to the purge canister and turn off the engine, listen for the wheezing
 

Redfire Fox

Active Member
Dec 29, 2011
56
26
39
Jul 8, 2020
#7
  • Jul 8, 2020
  • #7
Well fixed my rear moaning noise during ignition on engine off I been getting. Also no more long cranking issues when cold and engine stalls during hot starts and no more fuel pressure going to zero after shutting the car off. Yup you guessed it, I changed my fuel pressure regulator diaphragm in the Kirban. I also noticed my car runs much smoother when I accelerate.
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Jul 8, 2020
#8
  • Jul 8, 2020
  • #8
To fix a whiny moan in the back, I would have checked on who was tied up in the trunk, or who I forgot in the back seat .
You guys are smart to have nailed it with the first response.
 
Reactions: General karthief
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
167
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
W
Engine My engine dies after running 10 to 15 minutes under high heat.
  • Wylieone
  • Jun 21, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
250
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 22, 2026
Mustang5L5
G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
457
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
900
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
528
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?