Non-stang rear caliper question

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
Hey everyone... sorry for the non-stang post but I got a problem with my daily driver I need some advice on.
I picked up this 83 280zx for a daily driver a couple weeks back. Always had no parking brake hold to it. Inspected it and of course failed. Through some new pads in after adjusting the cable didn't work, and it holds now. Unfortunately, the parking lever on the rear caliper will stick when it's actuated fully by the handle. It can jiggle a bit by hand when released, but after you pull the handle the lever stays and has to be beaten back loose with a hammer.

Would it be feasible to rebuild it, as the kit is only like 12$, or not even worth it. I'm new to rear calipers and not sure if the rebuild might fix the lever problem. I'm just asking because the 'new' caliper is like 78$... and I'd rather spend that on gas money. Anyways, would appreciate any advice!

The Swede

usually the rebuild kits are nothing more than seal and o-rings, so it wouldn't help in this case. it sounds like you might have a problem with rust or sediment in the caliper, either in the parking brake mechanism or in the piston bore. my advice check austin imports for a good used one, they usually guarantee them to work so it's worth a shot. i bet you can pick one up for 20-30 bucks from those guys.

are you talking about capitol city imports on congress? as far as I know they have no 280s or 300s.... asked them for a distributer and w/o checking said "no- none of those cars". I have to be honest and say I got the feeling it was cause I was a gringo, I know of one yard that has at least 2 280s, just didn't really think a yard one would be worth it

well buying used brake parts is kind of a touchy situation. worst case is you can buy the rebuild kit and see if you can fix the problem yourself or you can go ahead and but the rebuilt piece. choice is yours