Not made-in-China Throw out bearings?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
Ford's throw out bearing quality has seemingly taken a recent dive. 2 of my last 4 have needed replacement almost immediately. Looks like they're sourcing them from China. Not sure how long they've been doing so, but I'm looking for a higher quality bearing now.

I've been playing around with preload for the TOB in the convertible, but it doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like the crowd is stumped. Does anyone have experience with a McLeod TOB? Maybe they make them stateside.

People are reporting that they're getting china stamped bearings from Timken, these days. I thought they were an exclusively US company. Damn.

I have a lot of respect for German made stuff, and having lived there for almost 5 years, I'd prefer putting the money in there pockets rather than anywhere but into Americans'. So, this is probably the next one I'll go with. At the moment, I'm spacing the clutch cable out even further, though.

It looks like the crowd is stumped. Does anyone have experience with a McLeod TOB? Maybe they make them stateside.

People are reporting that they're getting china stamped bearings from Timken, these days. I thought they were an exclusively US company. Damn.

I have a lot of respect for German made stuff, and having lived there for almost 5 years, I'd prefer putting the money in there pockets rather than anywhere but into Americans'. So, this is probably the next one I'll go with. At the moment, I'm spacing the clutch cable out even further, though.

I have a McLeod TOB, and McLeod clutch, maybe 500 miles on it. We’ll see...

Reactions: 1 user
We need to follow up on this in a few years. @Noobz347. How do we set an alarm?
LOL! Sorry @FastDriver! Haven't driven my car too much since I installed the clutch and TOB. Seems to be working well, I have it in a new Z trans, with all new supporting clutch parts. I don't drive my car to hard, sometimes. Its holding up. I don't remember if it said where it was made.

Last edited: