• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Not so low lwering springs

  • Thread starter Thread starter SVT32VDOHC
  • Start date Start date Feb 21, 2008

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Feb 21, 2008
#1
  • Feb 21, 2008
  • #1
I was fighting rear ride height on my 81 notch even though the car isn't near done. I was at 29-1/2" from the ground to bottom of the quarter well. Well last night, I was making some bump stops so my tires won't hit my quarter. Well, during measurements I couldn't get the rear end to go up with the springs out. I got to thinking...and I LOOSENED the LCA bolts. Boom...the axle goes up and I take my measurements and make some HD bump stops.

I put it all back together with the LCA bolts loose....then tighten them. Boom...I have my desired ride height. 27-1/2 inches from ground to quarter well. It might go down more with gas, trunk stuff, doors, interior and the front end sheet metal etc.....

I can't believe it was held up 2 inches because the bolts were tightened in the air. I have never come across this before. My notch and my Cobra were both done by me in the air and everything was fine.
 

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
2,137
199
114
Denver-ish
Feb 21, 2008
#2
  • Feb 21, 2008
  • #2
That IS odd. Maybe the bushings were binding w/ the motion of the upper control arms?
 

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Feb 21, 2008
#3
  • Feb 21, 2008
  • #3
Maybe....I didn't loosen the uppers...I am tempted to now.
 

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
2,137
199
114
Denver-ish
Feb 21, 2008
#4
  • Feb 21, 2008
  • #4
The only reason I'm thinking that is because the uppers travel in a different arc than the lowers. So if the bushings in the lowers were overtightened and not allowed to flex the resistance from the natural bind of the upper bushings may have been enough to keep the ass end up.
 

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Feb 22, 2008
#5
  • Feb 22, 2008
  • #5
That is what I am wondering too. I am gonna loosed then uppers as well for the heck of it.
 

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
2,137
199
114
Denver-ish
Feb 22, 2008
#6
  • Feb 22, 2008
  • #6
You should experiment and tighten the crap out of everything and see if it happens again. hehe.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Front Coil Overs and Rear Traditional Springs within a Maximum Motorsports K-Member Kit
  • Habu135
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
607
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Habu135
L
1996 harmonic balancer crank bolt. Help!
  • Lost in Palm Bay
  • Jul 21, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
215
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jul 24, 2026
Lost in Palm Bay
L
N
1969 15x10 295's for rear. Modifications needed?
  • normg
  • May 1, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
229
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- May 2, 2026
GypsyR
G
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
352
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?