Fox Now this is... an interesting build. (2jz notch)

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that the comment that a 2jz is as common as an LS might be a little skewed. It should be a 2jz is a common swap amoung other Japanese cars. It’s very UNCOMMON when placed in a domestic. ( compared to the LS).
I also believe that the Barra is potentially superior to the 2jz, but at a gigantic cost. As stated,...the 2jz in this country is so plentiful, and the hi-performance parts are so readily available, it makes it a no brainer. The obscurity of Barra engines, and the The cost to get one here, and then trying to get parts for it, make using one a real pain in the ass. And there are plenty of 1500 hp 2jzs out there to hand the Barra back it’s ass.

If a 2jz was as common in domestic cars as @wicked93gs thinks it is, there’d be a transmission adapter out there to put any modern domestic transmission behind one, or an oil pan to fit other than a fairly rare Supra rear sump pan.

There isn’t.

All of those alternative engines listed would be like putting a Coyote in a Camaro. Im all for different, but a Jag engine in anything, ( including a Jag) is a future phone call to AAA.

Fair enough...its not swapped into domestics as often as it is other imports, but it IS still swapped into domestics, point in case:

1968-Mustang-With-A-2JZ-03-1024x768.jpg

This one is in a 66 mustang.

C3-Corvette-With-Supra-2JZ-Swap-1280x720.jpg

Vette

1967-Camaro-with-1000-HP-2JZ-EVS-Motors-02.jpg

This is in a 67 Camaro...I could go on, but you get the point.

As for the Jag engine...Jag engines in general do have a reputation for being unreliable....the AJ6 is not one of those engines though...it routinely lasts to 300k+ miles. The biggest issues with Jags are actually the factory electronics(easily solved)

As for the Barra engine...a 1500HP Barra vs a 1500HP 2JZ, the Barra will simply out-torque the 2JZ(not that I would ever build either engine to those insane levels in any case, I like my engines to last a little bit longer than race engines typically do)

Anyway, my point is that if you are building for different, the 2JZ shouldn't even be on your radar.

Last edited:
likely not in a poor Country with 5 million People living here ... but you will be surprised how many old Pushrod engines / Cars are driving around here ... and also the 2JZ swapped Cars you will see at the Race Track !! and they are all running 9 seconds and faster ...the fastest 1/4mile car here is also a 1000hp 2jz powered Celica ..running 8.06 at a Track not even full preped... :coff: :coff: :coff: but I now more North everything is bigger,
53415028_1182051078639867_1579195874863480832_o.jpg
better and faster ..enjoy

Y’all seen the fox with the 4g63? I saw it over at no mercy last year, and seen him in 1320 in the past.

Kind of cool to see the not-so-common swaps.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The 2JZ is certainly a great engine by many metrics, I6....so reliable as a rock in stock and mildly modified form. People tend to be able to squeeze out a good 30MPG from them on a regular basis, and they have an aftermarket that is close to sbf and sbc size. One of those engines I would swap in just about anything if I had one sitting around in the garage.(I have several engines sitting around at any given time and a big factor in engine swap choice for me is whether I have the engine already.)

Really? :O_o:

In what way is it better?

Oh, and it's, "than". :p

You've done a lot of these then? Maybe you could weigh in on the transmission portion of the discussion?
I weighed in on a potential idea before mike went nuts with the tra

bell housing . He wanted to build the bell and do it cheaper. They make billet flex plates and adapters for the Chevy bell housing . They make adapters to run AODS and 4rs on sbc and ls motors. So use a gm to 2j Adapter for a glide or turbo 400 on the motor . Hybrid converter for ford to Chevy pilot . Chevy bell on the 4R . It would be sfi as well . My bet is that would have worked fine

they also make adapters for theford 6r80 now as well .

Or have an a340 built . Baltic Supra runs one in his drives it all the time and has been mid 8s .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user